Another stocking advice post

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. Getting a large refugium chaeto going and probably have an oversized protein skimmer reef octopus 202s. I am a month in and have two clowns. Just got my first corals today. My wife and I made this list of fish we like. I think I could probably get more eventually. Tear apart my fish list.

Two clowns
Black cap basslet
2 African leopard wrasse
Blue hippo tang
Long nose hawk fish
Pistol shrimp goby pair
Dragonet mandarin

I have 2 peppermint shrimp and emerald crab and nassarius trochus snails and hermits.
My tank is 24x48x24. I was unsure if big enough for another tang. I like a yellow tang. Would you add the tangs once I start getting corraline algae?

My wife must haves/wants the two African leopard wrasses. We like the coloration of the wrasses and would consider more if tank compatible. My must have is the dragonet mandarin.
Does the order I have them listed in make sense for stocking?

EDA2B4E5-9A71-4A0A-A187-68110550D7BC.jpeg

OP
OP
D

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like the long nose hawk fish, but I like shrimp. Is this not compatible with a sexy shrimp or any other?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang should be last fish added as they are territorial and the "tang police" r gonna say u can't add a Blue tang to a 120. If u do decide to add a Blue tang, then another tang would be tough in a 120 but doable if u add a docile tang but at the same time i.e. Tomini tang. Mandarins require a mature tank with plenty of pods for them to eat, otherwise they will starve to death (many folks have difficulty keeping them alive). Hawkfish may eat the shrimp

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose can be somewhat aggressive depending, but a cool fish. If you do, I'd prob add that one last.

As far as the blue tang, I personally think its fine, but honestly you may want to go with a different tang that would more actively eat algae. Yellow, Scopas something along those lines.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang should be last fish added as they are territorial and the "tang police" r gonna say u can't add a Blue tang to a 120. If u do decide to add a Blue tang, then another tang would be tough in a 120 but doable if u add a docile tang but at the same time i.e. Tomini tang. Mandarins require a mature tank with plenty of pods for them to eat, otherwise they will starve to death (many folks have difficulty keeping them alive). Hawkfish may eat the shrimp
I only quoted to save typing, everything said is +1 .... I’ve hardly ever seen a full sized Pacific blue anywhere but a public aquarium. Honestly, more or less every captive fish is stunted somewhat, its just by how much.
Maybe 2 smaller types in lieu of one?

OP
OP
D

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose can be somewhat aggressive depending, but a cool fish. If you do, I'd prob add that one last.

As far as the blue tang, I personally think its fine, but honestly you may want to go with a different tang that would more actively eat algae. Yellow, Scopas something along those lines.
So the blue hippo will just be eating seaweed i put in? I really like the yellow tang, but Dory for my daughter. I think I am going to hold on the blue for now

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size 120g right now...

my tank consists of coral beauty, false pecula clown, picssso clown, yellow coris wrasse, 4 blue/green chromis, scopas tang and blue yellow belly regal tang.

fire shrimp as well.

my blue tang doesn’t bother anyone, feeds off seaweed strips, pellets, flake, mysis. Probably 5”-6” long, am in process of upgrading to 180g

love my scopas tang. Was the same size of my blue regal when he was added,

my largest chromis is the little bugger picking on the 2 smaller chromis

again-fish like people, everyone different

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

Im not a good poster child for aquariums-ive never qt any fish from my display tank

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had ich wipe out my tank when i first started but other than that have had minimal issues

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the blue hippo will just be eating seaweed i put in? I really like the yellow tang, but Dory for my daughter. I think I am going to hold on the blue for now

They are pigs, will eventually eat everything. They aren't the easiest fish to acclimate to aquarium life though. Many come down with ich if not properly quarantined.

Back