OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on 5th April PM

I moved things about a little bit. The zoa is now at the front of the tank and the GSP is at the back. I’ve also moved the power head to the back wall of the tank to try to minimise the disruption it causes to the sea bed.
Here’s a pic:
179C7CC2-0D7E-402F-BA3C-102F77116386.jpeg

What do you think?
You’ll notice I’ve also superglued some of the zoa frag that came off the rock onto my live rock

It was falling off the rock it came on so I pulled it off gently, put some super glue onto the underside and pushed it down onto the live rock until it stuck.
0C5948FB-8F76-4097-9F63-A8CC85A88AF4.jpeg

I think it will look pretty nice there!
I’ve also noticed some really cool clown behaviour recently. The larger one flutters her back fin in the sand and disrupts the sand bed. I think she’s either looking for food or looking for a place to spawn. I doubt it’s the latter as it’s still early days and I don’t think the two of them have paired yet. I’d be pretty lucky if it was the case. I’ll keep you posted.

The other thing to add is that I’ve noticed yellow patches on the live rock

(Now showing up as green on the pics)

096FA87B-017C-4737-81DF-A6963DB13142.jpeg

It wasn’t there before so I’m wondering if it’s from the lights or the feeding. I thought if it was algae the CUC would be all over it... They kind of are. Perhaps I’m entering the ugly phase???

Next topic will be whether to start using the skimmer I have. If anyone knows how to use these thing effectively, let me know. It’s the standard Fluval skimmer suitable for the evo

Mini Sea PS2 I think it’s called!

thanks again for all your comments and advice. Always nice to have some interaction and feedback on here!

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anse Chastanet reef as of 6th April 2021

I still can’t get this dang flow right!! It keeps messing up my sand bed

image.jpg

563F6ADA-0ACE-4566-AE4C-6134D0554B7C.jpeg

See front right hand corner. It’s on the lowest mode. Maybe it’s still too powerful

Also in other news you’ll see a snail has taken comfort right in the middle of my new zoa. Is this normal? Should I get it off if hes damaging it?

these corals are too expensive to be killed/eaten by a snail

77899991-DCFD-4A95-A236-4F016D474403.jpeg

AE9B37BF-9920-4A0E-A765-8DCA8DEBE996.jpeg

it’s that white thing on the left

image.jpg

Also still no sign of clown eggs

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flow causes sand to blow around, it's probably because the powerhead is too big. Above and under the powerhead there is always some turbulence, and I think with yours the turbulence is too much to keep the sand bed still. A smaller powerhead might not have that problem, but I'm not a flow master haha.

Inverts bother corals every once in a while. With crabs it's usually more of a problem, since some can nip at corals and other bump against them. With snails I personally have never heard of them eating corals, so I wouldn't worry about that. You can pull the snail of the zoa rock if it gives you some peace of mind. If it keeps bothering corals you can always pull it out of the tank.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the flow causes sand to blow around, it's probably because the powerhead is too big. Above and under the powerhead there is always some turbulence, and I think with yours the turbulence is too much to keep the sand bed still. A smaller powerhead might not have that problem, but I'm not a flow master haha.

Inverts bother corals every once in a while. With crabs it's usually more of a problem, since some can nip at corals and other bump against them. With snails I personally have never heard of them eating corals, so I wouldn't worry about that. You can pull the snail of the zoa rock if it gives you some peace of mind. If it keeps bothering corals you can always pull it out of the tank.
Thanks Adriaen

I bought the power head that was recommended for the tank (not the Fluval power head though). I have it on the lowest setting whilst still generating the random turbulent water flow. I think it’s a case of putting it in the right place. I’m experimenting with different locations. All of which have caused sand bed disruption. I’ll keep tweaking until I get it right. If not, I’ll have to find another power head.

the snail seems to have found a comfortable place on the zoa and hasn’t moved for about 2 days now . I’ll leave him there for now. The coral doesn’t look bothered either. If he stays there long enough, he may end up with a green zoa shell

Thanks as always for your time to read my build and also comment and provide advice. Much appreciated!!

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries at all! Good to hear the coral isn't bothered by the snail. Would be fun if you got a snail who becomes a walking zoa :p

You can definitely try different places with your powerhead. Maybe close to a rock so the rock will break up the turbulence before it hits the sand? Then you will also have a high flow area on your rock for upcoming corals who prefer high flow ;)

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anse Chastanet reef for 7 April 2021

Water parameters as follows:

Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

salinity - 36ppt

I did a 10% water change after checking the water parameters.

I also added half a scoop of Reef Brite Reef Enhance. Let’s see if that helps maintain some healthy corals.

In MUCH more exciting news, I found this little guy on the side of the tank! Looks like a starfish

9DE7B5A7-9A29-4882-A8BF-DFE9662027E1.jpeg

This hobby just gets cooler by the day! I can’t find him anymore. He blends in really well with the sand but I’ll see him every so often I’m sure.

Also I found the outer shell of a hermit crab and thought I’d lost one of my hermit CUC, but I started with 2 and I still have 2 so this must be one of the hermits having shed! So cool!!!!

Ive noticed quite a build up of algae on the back of the tank so I’ve run the gravel vacuum over it and hopefully the CUC will also kick in. I’m laying off the lights for a bit too. Any other recommendations to get through the “ugly phase” let me know.

Here’s a pic of the tank today

4E565106-08C4-4161-92CF-15A0EFEFF093.jpeg

You’ll see the power head is now lower down in the tank facing the return nozzles. So far no sand bed distribution!

all is calm on the reef today

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from the reef on 8th April 2021

Nothing major to report other than the emerald crab looks like he’s munching on my zoa... and the snail that I plucked OFF the zoa is back in exactly the same place. It’s getting on my ****!

so much space on the reef and it finds its way back to the exact same spot. Bore off mate.

anyway, it’s obviously warm and accommodating

here’s a pic

BF17F52A-BDE9-4E11-8AD0-7D773F36C29E.jpeg

92154866-099B-4C71-909D-2EA8F5C88C73.jpeg

Also the sand bed is doing well. No disruptions caused by the power head.

the narscius snail has disappeared but I’m sure he’s in there somewhere.
Starfish came out for a little bit but has also disappeared. This reef has some David Blane qualities.

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking good! Nice that you found a spot for the powerhead without it disrupting the sand. That little starfish is a Asterina starfish. They stay very small and some people consider them a pest. I never had them in my tank, but I know they can reproduce very fast. I don't think they will harm your tank though, if it become many you can always pull some out. Just to be sure you can always look on the forum for experiences on Asterina starfish.

As for the ugly phase I think just regular waterchanges make it easier to manage. But I feel like it's just a kinda stage you have to go through. It will go away and maybe an upgrade in CUC will help to keep it under control. I had a lawnmower blenny who ate all the green hair algae in my ugly stage. But just snails can help a lot too.
BRS made a video about the ugly stage recently, maybe you can get some useful information from it.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anse Chastanet reef as of 6th April 2021

I still can’t get this dang flow right!! It keeps messing up my sand bed
I tried that same wavemaker in my tank (the same one you have) and returned it. It was just too much, even at its lowest setting, for such a small space IMHO.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that same wavemaker in my tank (the same one you have) and returned it. It was just too much, even at its lowest setting, for such a small space IMHO.
Hey Scott. I think I’ve positioned it in a place that means it won’t disrupt the sand bed but also provides random flow.
I’m keeping a close eye.
Which one did you replace it with?

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anse Chastanet reef on 13 April 2021

water parameters are as follows:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
pH 8.2

I tried feeding my CUC some nori the other day. As I placed the nori in the tank, the clowns started going bonkers!! Terrified of it!! Hitting the sides of the glass. Hiding. Just very frightened. I took it out immediately.

I then used the glass magnet cleaner to clamp the nori to the inside of the glass. Happy CUC, happy clowns

Does anyone know how long it takes for the zoas and the GSP to start spreading?

Here’s a video of my hermit doing the best cleaning ive ever seen

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott. I think I’ve positioned it in a place that means it won’t disrupt the sand bed but also provides random flow.
I’m keeping a close eye.
Which one did you replace it with?
I use a Hydor koralia 240 on the false wall under the return kind of pointed at the glass. I switched out the double returns for a single random flow generator pointed toward the center of the tank.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anse Chastanet reef on 19/4/2021

I put my hand in the tank this morning and the water felt colder than usual. I stuck the digital thermometer in and it was showing a water temp in the main display tank as 21.9*C

I immediately checked the heater located chamber 3 and was a nice toasty temperature of 26.9*C.

Long story short, the return pump was unplugged...... not sure how that happened but it’s in now and the temperature is coming up again in the main display tank.

Also I got this leather:

DF9665D3-DA49-4C86-BC88-108D948B3901.jpeg

870BDE66-20A1-43EE-A390-1A7E51482556.jpeg

5823BB4C-2429-4D4F-B609-009BF2BD18D8.jpeg

I have also started testing for phosphate. It was at 0.25 before a 10% water change. I’ll test again to make sure the water change has reduced those levels.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Anse Chastanet reef

Current water parameters are as follows:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
pH 8.2

Ive been enjoying target feeding the clowns, corals and inverts with the brine shrimp. I’m not sure if the corals are eating but I’ve been sure to use the pipette to blow some of the brine shrimp water around them.
The hermit crab has been up by the overflow for days now and hasn’t come down at all. I’ve given up on taking him down as he just ends up there again.

I’ve been watching BRS and found them recommending Reef Brite Reef Enhance. Got some of that on the way to help my corals out!

here’s a pic of Anse Chastanet on 5 April 2021

B054697A-EABD-4A67-9240-57C5377A310D.jpeg

I also found this thing in the tank. No idea what it is

5019162C-F043-49BC-9EFC-5C7BDF6FDF89.jpeg
Not sure what that is. I had a Fluval nano like yours. I found my self upgrading everything over time. Fluval makes a protein skimmed specifically sized for that tank and it is pretty inexpensive. By the time I had upgraded to a 28 Gallon JBJ, I had replaced everything in the tank except the glass. Good luck with the journey.

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that is. I had a Fluval nano like yours. I found my self upgrading everything over time. Fluval makes a protein skimmed specifically sized for that tank and it is pretty inexpensive. By the time I had upgraded to a 28 Gallon JBJ, I had replaced everything in the tank except the glass. Good luck with the journey.
Thank you DocRudy!

I’m enjoying it a lot. Parts of the tank are getting upgraded already. No plans to size-up yet, although I’m sure that will come eventually.

that small green thing in the tank turned out to be an empty shell. Not sure where it came from.

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone direct me to a thread to help me plan and "build" a fuge in chamber 2?

Thanks

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow thanks! This is great. Lots to think about

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from the Anse Chastanet reef on the evening of the 22 April 2021

there are a few additions to the tank since my last update.
I got 1 leather, 1 pulsing Xenia and a couple of cool hitchhikers. Turns out there was a tunicate on the leather. Bright orange! So cool!!

you’ll see him just under the hood of the leather

FEFB1885-93D1-41EF-9522-A30970EEBCA6.jpeg

I also got a Fluval light controller off eBay for £30. It’s great! You can set the lighting output level and program it to have sunrise, sunset and moon settings. I’m still working on getting them all right so monitoring the corals based on the light and longevity of exposure.

I bought a pulsing Xenia off an online coral company in the UK. Turns out it looks nothing like the picture but it’s growing pretty quickly

Here is what it looks like today

E0C8ED03-F3F4-4E38-B8DA-E1EDA714C2FE.jpeg

I also started testing for phosphate. I’m struggling to accuracy read the colour on the chart compared to the liquid, but I think it’s currently at 0.25 which I understand is quite high... hence the request for recommendations to possible start a fuge in chamber 2.

I also re scaped a bit. What do you think?

2C8BCA12-B86A-4A26-B979-93EDABF033CC.jpeg

The clowns love swimming under the tunnel I’ve created for them. I’m going to get another piece or rock to elevate the section on the right so it is in line with the left. I think it looks quite good if I say so myself!!

Oh and I also got a cleaner shrimp

2064572C-E85F-436C-A4F2-B55FDC0D9ADA.jpeg

Thanks for reading this!!

As always, comments, advice hints, tips always welcome.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back