Answer all of my water changing questions (300 gallon tank)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi sorry not much help here ,300+ systems,avoid water changes,control phos,big skimmers,top off control salinity,watch ,ph, kh cal, add as ness,.. :)
how about minor trace elements? My tank is still new.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
all around additives, coral vite.fuel,essential elements ,strontium/moly,iodide,no measurements ,just add as i see needed ,your corals can tell you what they need,by growth rings,been winging it for 30 yrs ,ain't broke ,don't fix.
see i told ya' not much help.. :rolleyes: :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all around additives, coral vite.fuel,essential elements ,strontium/moly,iodide,no measurements ,just add as i see needed ,your corals can tell you what they need,by growth rings,been winging it for 30 yrs ,ain't broke ,don't fix.
see i told ya' not much help.. :rolleyes: :)
This helped me so much

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to get these 100 gallon containers and put them in a different room with a separate RODI and a float valve. Then I mix salt and leave a powerhead and use a pump and a long hose to get it into my tank.

A2E00E5B-5A8E-4527-86D5-36BFFCD44518.png

where can I buy these?
I have the bins on the left actually. I live in Orlando so I have a similar climate to you. I spray painted them green to avoid algae accumulation since they are outside.

My setup is the RODI can fill up either bin. Fresh water on on the left, saltwater on the right. The blue tube on top of the right bin is what feeds my Apex DOS for water changes. Happy to give you more details if you are interested.

image.jpg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bins on the left actually. I live in Orlando so I have a similar climate to you. I spray painted them green to avoid algae accumulation since they are outside.

My setup is the RODI can fill up either bin. Fresh water on on the left, saltwater on the right. The blue tube on top of the right bin is what feeds my Apex DOS for water changes. Happy to give you more details if you are interested.

image.jpg

How do you maintain temps in the summer? I'd imagine they get north of 90 degrees easily?

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is 10 time bigger than mine but I recently set up an DOS AWC system and it’s glorious. So I vote for that for sure. Manually changing 3 gallons was a pain, I can’t imagine 30. Beyond the ease, stability is so much easier with the AWC system.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is 10 time bigger than mine but I recently set up an DOS AWC system and it’s glorious. So I vote for that for sure. Manually changing 3 gallons was a pain, I can’t imagine 30. Beyond the ease, stability is so much easier with the AWC system.
It’s one of those things that you don’t realize how much you love it until you have it

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Since the water change does 30g (10%) over 24hrs it doesn’t influence the display tank temps

Fair, I imagine you have to compensate for your mixing salinity though given the deviation from tank temps? Genuinely curious as I've considered moving my storage tanks outside here in FL as well

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fair, I imagine you have to compensate for your mixing salinity though given the deviation from tank temps? Genuinely curious as I've considered moving my storage tanks outside here in FL as well
Yes possibly. The bins are out of the sun and when I mix the water it’s usually cooler due to being freshly made or at night when it’s cooler (80’s)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back