Answer all of my water changing questions (300 gallon tank)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I’m switching from NSW to homemade water changes with RODI.

I’m going to maintain my salinity at 1.026.

My tank is 300 gallons and I have LPS and a few SPS corals. I’m thinking of Red Sea Salt based on a quick google search.

My question is...I need a water change schedule. How much water to change per how long? I can buy those big brute trash cans which are about 40 gallons big.

I have excellent filtration. Reef octopus skimmer and 5 micron socks changed daily. I mainly will do water changes to replace elements for coral health.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I’m switching from NSW to homemade water changes with RODI.

I’m going to maintain my salinity at 1.026.

My tank is 300 gallons and I have LPS and a few SPS corals. I’m thinking of Red Sea Salt based on a quick google search.

My question is...I need a water change schedule. How much water to change per how long? I can buy those big brute trash cans which are about 40 gallons big.

I have excellent filtration. Reef octopus skimmer and 5 micron socks changed daily. I mainly will do water changes to replace elements for coral health.

general rule of thumb ive seen while researching recommends 10-20% of total volume weekly or by weekly.

but a lot of people in here range the whole gambit. Some do a change every week, others once a month, still others every few months, and finally there are some who don’t do water changes at all.

I think a big part of choosing your schedule depends on your individual system. Where the parameters naturally tend to rest would be a good thing to determine. And go from there.

*disclaimer: I am still working on my build. The ideas above are food for thought only. Others will chime in who are more experienced than me.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like asking ppl how often do they change their car's oil....

You'll get a slightly different answer out of each person

QUESTION TO YOU: what was your WC schedule with NSW? Use that schedule

Got2bSkUnKeD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket for SPS reasons, and use DI for ATO, which I believe is the norm. I’m flirting with the idea of making water changes less frequent. I’ve historically done the 10% to 20% weekly, but on the larger system and proper filtration, I’d recommend looking into dosing to maintain your nutrients. You can maintain your established salinity with ATO. Once you’ve determined your nutrient depletion rate from your corals, you can dose to compensate (auto-dosing or manual) without going through the water change trouble. As your corals grow, the more nutrients they’ll utilize, so dosing will have to be altered every so often.
A wise man recently advised me to make the hobby as low-maintenance as possible. Roller filters instead of socks and dosing with DI ATO takes a lot of the work out of it.
I have two 44gal brutes with float valves installed so I can fill them without worrying about forgetting about them and filling my garage (past problem). Then I use a 450 gal/hr submersible return pump in the bottom with no hose attached for internal recirc to mix in the salt. This allows for fast mixing and installation of the brute lid to prevent any foreign materials.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef

You still live in Miami?

I do. Curious to know why you ask? Are you thinking of coming over? :)

The schedule I currently do is not sustainable nor healthy for corals. I did like a 90% water change once a month. Making that big of a change will not make my corals happy. Especially with the 80-82 temp temperature change from the truck.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-20% a week. Get 2 44 gallon Brut cans and pump the water out into one and fill it back with NSW you made in the other. The same level in 2 identical cans is the same amount. You dont have to measure anything. They make a little dolly that locks on the bottom so you can roll them around on a hard floor. I have a pump with a short hose to dump the water into a sink to get rid of it and pump the water into the tank..

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying 1% per day, with Triton for a month now.
For 300g, maybe look into dosing to replenish With smaller water changes if the goal is stability.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. Curious to know why you ask? Are you thinking of coming over? :)

I am curious bc if I lived in Miami I serious doubt I would be in this hobby that requires such inside the house presence.

I would invest 75% of my time and money pursuing outdoor passions like fishing, snorkeling, possibly diving, beach combing, adventuring, droning, outdoor photography, paddleboarding, you name it.

Why simulate the Salty Life when I could live it. Just me though.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious bc if I lived in Miami I serious doubt I would be in this hobby that requires such inside the house presence.

I would invest 75% of my time and money pursuing outdoor passions like fishing, snorkeling, possibly diving, beach combing, adventuring, droning, outdoor photography, paddleboarding, you name it.

Why simulate the Salty Life when I could live it. Just me though.....
Because it looks beautiful. And even though you can experience the reef in the real world, it’s nothing like the effort and expertise that a person requires to simulate an incredible ecosystem inside an aquarium.

It’s like a Rolex watch, it’s not about the fact it can tell time; it’s the tiny minuscule pieces that creates the movement that can last for a lifetime.

It’s an art. Nature is a balancing art.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me ask you this why do you want to get out of doing NSW? what is it that you hope to get from ASW?
I want to maintain high alkalinity and calcium but the ocean water is really low. I think trace elements are even lower tbh.

I want a heavy LPS tank, some soft, and some SPS too.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 310g set up for auto water changes with a mixing station and Apex / DOS pumps and it’s been a huge time saver. I use Tropic Marin Reef salt and do 10% weekly but also have a CaRx so don’t dose anything extra.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to maintain high alkalinity and calcium but the ocean water is really low. I think trace elements are even lower tbh.

I want a heavy LPS tank, some soft, and some SPS too.

make since. I have heard of ppl dosing there NSW to get it where they want it. that said it might be easier to do ASW.

just know you are going to go through RODI and carbon filters might need a booster pump so either way there is work and $$.

good luck!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make since. I have heard of ppl dosing there NSW to get it where they want it. that said it might be easier to do ASW.

just know you are going to go through RODI and carbon filters might need a booster pump so either way there is work and $$.

good luck!
I pay $120 for saltwater delivered once a month.
That’s just for delivery. Now adding elements and possible damaging corals from the constant fluctuations...it seems like making my own is smarter. It doesn’t take long to fill RODI and mix salt. I don’t need to heat it because it’s only 10% of the water which won’t change anything. Now imagine 80+ temp water changing 90%...it’s not good. I can change less water in that time...but that’s just wasting more money for only a small percentage with lacking elements.

However, I hope that I can make it more sustainable in the long term. Maybe the triton method.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get these 100 gallon containers and put them in a different room with a separate RODI and a float valve. Then I mix salt and leave a powerhead and use a pump and a long hose to get it into my tank.

A2E00E5B-5A8E-4527-86D5-36BFFCD44518.png

where can I buy these?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi sorry not much help here ,300+ systems,avoid water changes,control phos,big skimmers,top off control salinity,watch ,ph, kh cal, add as ness,.. :)

Back