Ant like bugs. What could they be?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all. It's been 11 days since the start of the cycle.
A few days back, I've found some (more than 7) little critters on one of my live rock which seems to be of the same kind. I've tried many keywords to ID them but have had no luck so far.
Sorry but I could not take a picture of it. I've been staring at the rock for about half an hour with the camera on my hand but these buggers would hide inside the rock the moment they sense my gaze or when I make any slight movement.

I'm sure it won't be enough to ID these guys but these are what I've gathered from the observation;
- They are about the size of a small ant, they move like an ant too.
- They are smaller than the amphipods in my tank but way bigger than my copepods (the bigger one looks to be about 2~3mm long but it's hard to tell)
- Their body is dark coloured (black) with a white spot/strip on its butt and another white spot near its head (I'm sure about the spot/stripe on its butt but not 100% sure about the one near its head)
- Their body is slim and straight (not bent in c shape like the amphipods)
- They crawl in and out of the holes on the rock. I've yet to see them swim.
- They move super fast.
- They've got legs.
- It's so tiny and fast that it's hard to tell but sometimes they look like an ant other times they look like a tiny shrimp.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be?
Please feel free to take a guess. I can try google image search and also get some idea as to what to look for.

Super happy about finding copepods and amphipods in my tank today. I can't believe that I didn't see them before when copepods are just about everywhere.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe isopods. See this post:

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be Amphipods there are thousands of species of them and come in different shapes and sizes, I have all kind of them in my tank and some looks like you describe.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all. It's been 11 days since the start of the cycle.
A few days back, I've found some (more than 7) little critters on one of my live rock which seems to be of the same kind. I've tried many keywords to ID them but have had no luck so far.
Sorry but I could not take a picture of it. I've been staring at the rock for about half an hour with the camera on my hand but these buggers would hide inside the rock the moment they sense my gaze or when I make any slight movement.

I'm sure it won't be enough to ID these guys but these are what I've gathered from the observation;
- They are about the size of a small ant, they move like an ant too.
- They are smaller than the amphipods in my tank but way bigger than my copepods (the bigger one looks to be about 2~3mm long but it's hard to tell)
- Their body is dark coloured (black) with a white spot/strip on its butt and another white spot near its head (I'm sure about the spot/stripe on its butt but not 100% sure about the one near its head)
- Their body is slim and straight (not bent in c shape like the amphipods)
- They crawl in and out of the holes on the rock. I've yet to see them swim.
- They move super fast.
- They've got legs.
- It's so tiny and fast that it's hard to tell but sometimes they look like an ant other times they look like a tiny shrimp.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be?
Please feel free to take a guess. I can try google image search and also get some idea as to what to look for.

Super happy about finding copepods and amphipods in my tank today. I can't believe that I didn't see them before when copepods are just about everywhere.
1600983079053.png
Isopod munnid

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be Amphipods there are thousands of species of them and come in different shapes and sizes, I have all kind of them in my tank and some looks like you describe.
Thanks for the info. Now I want all kind of them amphipods in my tank! I'm guessing the guys in your tank are the good guys.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are free food for fish and coral

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe isopods. See this post:

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. I didn't find the ones that I have from the page but with so many species out there, it could as well be a type of isopod.[/QUOTE]

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back