OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the first two weeks are in the books with the new tank running! Still no livestock loss, and I've added a Lubbock's fairy wrasse, as well as a coral beauty dwarf angelfish. They're still a little camera shy, so enjoy my absolute potato of a lawnmower blenny. I've also fired up my skimmer; it's been running for about a week and the foam finally calmed down enough to have it actually collect skimmate and not overflow into the sump.

64qmrtf.jpg

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon your thread and happy to say that we are embarking on the same journey at the same time! Your about 2 weeks ahead of me as my 350 G2 hasn't been delivered yet. I'm bringing over coral and previous livestock but starting over with dry rock. I'd love to keep track with each others builds and see how they progress! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon your thread and happy to say that we are embarking on the same journey at the same time! Your about 2 weeks ahead of me as my 350 G2 hasn't been delivered yet. I'm bringing over coral and previous livestock but starting over with dry rock. I'd love to keep track with each others builds and see how they progress! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I’m also in the same position - though I bought the 350 G1 when they went on sale before the G2 was announced. Just got mine installed yesterday - hired my LFS to set it up For me.

It’s my first saltwater tank. I’m excited, but also a bit overwhelmed as I know there’s lots to learn. When they were going through the Apex settings and all of the test kits with me, my head was spinning a bit. Can’t wait to get fish in!

kindaamaznazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just purchased this stand and in the process of putting it together. I have the tank on the stand without the doors attached yet, and the tank is slighter wider front to back than the stand. Is it supposed to be flush once the doors are attached? It just makes me nervous...

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just purchased this stand and in the process of putting it together. I have the tank on the stand without the doors attached yet, and the tank is slighter wider front to back than the stand. Is it supposed to be flush once the doors are attached? It just makes me nervous...
The back should be flush with the stand, and the front should overhang :)

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that's a good stopping point for tonight. Was hoping to get the tank wet today, but assembling the stand took a while. It's not hard; the directions are clear. There's just a WHOLE lot of those cam lock screws. A very sturdy design, for sure.
VPIjm3m.jpg
Omg this is going to be so clean looking!

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! It's been a little later than 3 months since the tank has gotten wet! Sorry in advance for the lack of pictures, It's 1am and I'll add some tomorrow. I'll be honest, it's got quite a bit of algae because of some personal life neglect.

So far, I can't think of any complaints! sometimes I do find the adjustment dial for the drain to be a little finicky, mostly due to my own error. Fine adjustments are the key here, I find making 1/8 turn increments and then dialing it in from there to work the best. I can see the advantages this design has over the gen 1 "notched" dial.

Additions include a gallon of BRS "biospheres", I didn't realize this would be a floating media. I also purchased 3 extra of the mesh filter socks that are included with the tank. I found the media cup to clog a bit too easily when I was running my old leftover media floss from my AIO 30 gallon.

Future plans are to add the following: Reefwave 45, Apex A3 Pro, and Neptune Sky LED, in that order.

The Reefwave45 makes sense to add to my existing red sea ecosystem. I plan on getting the new rollermat eventually, but it's always out of stock. One day! Anyways, this pump would replace the Nero 5 on that side, the Nero 5 would get a nice scrub and cleaning, then get moved to the opposite wall, which is open to the living room.

I've been eyeing a new aquarium controller for some time now, but I figured with the age of Neptune's model, they would have to announce something soon. The A3 lineup is the latest offering, and it seems that this is the update I was looking for. I appreciate the matte finish on the controller. I mostly want this to tie into my "smart apartment", I've been playing with running an unRAID media server as well as a full network overhaul with ubiquiti equipment.

Lastly, the light. I'm in no rush for this, as my tank is FOWLR and I'm having mega issues with hair algae currently. I plan on adding corals whenever I move this tank to a house (hah yeah right). Until then, I'd prefer to keep it FOWLR for two reasons: To make the eventual move easier, and because...

NEW LIVESTOCK!

Nothing too crazy here, the last update was with the wrasse and dwarf angel additions. Today, I just added 3 emerald crabs (See, FOWLR!), a royal gramma, and a pistol shrimp. Unfortunately, no goby friend for him yet. The store did have a yellow line goby, but as far as I'm aware, they aren't symbiotic with pistol shrimp. I think the tank is close to capacity for what I want, a medium bioload. Currently the list sits at:

Fish:
2x Clowns
1x Bimaculatus Blenny
1x Lawnmower Blenny
1x Carpenters Fairy Wrasse (Got the wrong name in previous post, my bad!)
1x Coral Beauty Dwarf Angelfish
1x Royal Gramma

Inverts:
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1x Cleaner Shrimp
3x Emerald Crab
5ish Nassarius Snails
5ish Trochus Snails

I plan to add a Yellow watchman in the future for the pistol shrimp, and at the same time some more snails. I was considering an urchin, but now with the emerald crabs I will have to look into compatibility.

This tank has been an amazing "big step" into the hobby. Being 3 months deep in my first big tank, coming from a 12.5 evo then a 30 long, I really appreciate the extra space a sump provides for equipment. Sure, the AIO's are easy, but the plumbing is easier than ikea. Can't wait to watch this tank slowly mature, and then cry when I have to move it.

:')

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to nab a Yellow Watchman for the pistol Shrimp. I also picked up an urchin to assist in the algae removal. I've also decided to "graduate" from FOWLR with my first ever coral purchase! A torch that is opening up wonderfully.
20220825_153511.jpg

20220825_153434.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back