Antarcticant's Red Sea Reefer 350 G2!

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the build thread of my Reefer 350 G2!

Originally, I was going to order a RSR 350 with my LFS. Earlier today, Red Sea announced the release of the latest G2 models. After talking with my LFS, Red Sea has these new tanks in stock, and he went ahead and changed my order to the latest model and charged me the difference!

This tank will be replacing my Innovative Marine 30L, and will be my first larger tank, as well as my first tank with a dedicated plumbed sump.
Current livestock will be transferred over:
2x Snowflake Clownfish
1x Lawn Mower Blenny
1x Cleaner Shrimp
And as many snails as I can rescue from the sand.

Future livestock additions planned:
1x Yellow Watchman
1x Pistol Shrimp
1x Midas Blenny
1x Royal Gramma
And more CUC members.

I'll also be repurposing my Kessil A360x as this will be FOWLR until I can afford more lights.

Gear ordered:
Another 200w element for my IM Helio heater (will bring it up to 400w total)
Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0
Red Sea RSK300 Skimmer (may be slightly undersized for the tank..)

I also plan on adding the new ReefMat, as now I won't have to cut out the sump area.

The tank should hopefully arrive in 7-14 days according to my LFS. Pictures of the delivery and setup will be posted ASAP!

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m excited to see the G2. I had the first gen 350. It looks like it has some nice changes and upgrades. Especially the roller instead of socks.
For sure! It comes with media cups I think, but I'm definitely planning on adding the roller now that I won't have to worry about cutting up my sump.

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my LFS, they took payment on Monday. I guess this means it should be shipped out by Friday, and hopefully here by next week!

A small update, but the protein skimmer, return pump, and extra heating element have arrived. I've also used masking tape to mark where the tank will be, and I can already tell it will be an awesome upgrade. I'm also doing a Youtube series on this tank, covering building, tuning, and all the wonderful headaches of this hobby!

Enjoy some snail B-Roll while the dust settles :)

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was just delivered 30 minutes ago, and the fun officially begins!
1EZamOR.jpg
XEV6Zqn.jpg

JetsIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Considering the same tank and slightly concerned about assembly. How long do you expect it would take for someone of below average handiness (but not totally hopeless). Assume I’m the kinda person that it takes an extra 30-45 mins to assemble something when the instructions indicate it should be able to be assembled in 2 hours. Was the plumbing relatively simple?

Thanks in advance.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Considering the same tank and slightly concerned about assembly. How long do you expect it would take for someone of below average handiness (but not totally hopeless). Assume I’m the kinda person that it takes an extra 30-45 mins to assemble something when the instructions indicate it should be able to be assembled in 2 hours. Was the plumbing relatively simple? Thanks in advance.
My wife and I assembled the stand for our 750 in an afternoon. The plumbing is very easy to install as it's all pre-fit from the factory.

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd second that. I built this stand completely solo and with lots of forced breaks so I wouldn't get rushed and make any mistakes. It took me about 4 hours, maybe 2 of that was actual work.

I will say that a drill or driver with a Phillips set is pretty much a requirement, there's a few self tapping wood screws that need it.

Optional, but also recommend some cheap beer for the process as well. ;)

OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! So stand is complete. I have to say the plumbing from the factory is absolutely gorgeous. I love the red and black theme going on in the sump. Once I add the Red Sea Reefmat, I think it'll just tie the whole setup together. Also slowly adding water, I did have a 30 gallon brute with water already made up, but that hardly put a dent in it. As for the lack of rock, I'm taking all the rock from my 30 long once I transfer the fish over. I don't want to move stuff over too early, as my lawnmower blenny can be a bit skittish without his hidey holes.
vqbnrDm.jpg
JdPjuvp.jpg

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Following along

@Antarcticant could you do me a big favor and measure the new overflow - interested in the length and depth with the new dual return pipes added

thanks - exciting stuff!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Antarcticant

Antarcticant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Following along

@Antarcticant could you do me a big favor and measure the new overflow - interested in the length and depth with the new dual return pipes added

thanks - exciting stuff!
Sorry for the delay, working nights has been kicking my behind!

The overflow measured 4" deep, and 15.5" wide. The nozzles on each side probably add about another 2-3".

In other news, the fish have been acclimating quite well! It's been a week, and no losses so far, thank goodness! The tank looks SUPER empty with these little guys in it, I hope they enjoy the extra space before I add more fish.
VRSSNkK.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back