Anthelia and Pom Pom Xenia next to each other/on the same rock.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently the only coral in my soft coral Tank is an anthelia, it’s on its own rock as my understanding is it could take over the whole tank. I would also like to keep pom-pom Xenia in this tank, but again my understanding is it could also take over the whole tank. Should the Xenia go on its own rock or can I put it on the Anthelia rock?

ADA225D7-7E2D-4D8D-B0D4-A1F77E5F6266.jpeg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went ahead and put the Xenia and anthelia on the same rock. . . They’ll have to fight it out I guess.

Also I added this finger leather today, pictures just after I added it to the Tank so it’s pretty shriveled, but is it too close to the anthelia? It’s a current hits just write the head of the anthelia could touch the finger, could this lead to stinging?

7A34D845-AF89-4E76-A63F-19C7E6E630AA.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre both xenia and I have had them blended without issue. The pomPom version grows quicker and can overtake the anthellia

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cloves and Xenia growing on top of each other with no issues. They staked out certain areas and don’t interfere. Anthelia would likely be a similar story.
Neither anthelia or leathers have particularly strong stings, so I doubt they are fighting each other. Most likely the leather is just adjusting to the new tank - it can take weeks before they perk back up.

bridget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the only coral in my soft coral Tank is an anthelia, it’s on its own rock as my understanding is it could take over the whole tank. I would also like to keep pom-pom Xenia in this tank, but again my understanding is it could also take over the whole tank. Should the Xenia go on its own rock or can I put it on the Anthelia rock?

ADA225D7-7E2D-4D8D-B0D4-A1F77E5F6266.jpeg

Attachments

• xeniaandanthelia.jpg
    xeniaandanthelia.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 43

bridget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a semi large waving hand anthelia on a large live rock and his buddy next to him is a thick stemmed xenia pom pom on his own rock at a great price..both are healthy as a horse...I have a colony of dunan corals on the other side of the tank doing quite well (probably 30 heads) with a GSP frag doing well...a pair of clown fish, fire fish gobys and yellow tailed blue damsel fish...all doing well..new to the reef tank hobby 9 months ago...my tank is only a 20 gallon tank and will up scale to a larger tank in the near future...I have a very good filter pump and great media and a submersible UV sterilizer...I tend to this tank often but pinch myself that everyone is doing so well being a reef tank newbie

bridget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy...the anthelia grew a few more inches over night...waving like crazy as well as the Xenia...will be interesting before I purchase a larger tank...fish love it...Duncan Coral colony doing well but a lil jealous...they want their own power flow head...they are to the left

Attachments

• antheliatoday.jpg
    antheliatoday.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 41

bridget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Love the new Anthelia coral next to the exploding Xenia Pom Pom coral...my fish love them...in a 20 gallon tank for now...upgrading to a 30 gallon shortly (black Friday sale, saved $70) Duncan Coral Colony to the left, GSP frag and some fake corals that look real...that Anthelia coral to the right of the Xenia coral is growing like crazy...Mom we love your food

Attachments

• sattank.jpg
    sattank.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 40
  • corals.jpg
    corals.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 32
  • coral2.jpg
    coral2.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 42

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back