Anthias, Copperband Butterfly fish and other multi-daily feeders!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two “stars” in my tank are my 2 Sunburst Anthias and “Bah” my nearly famous Copperband Butterfly fish. “Stars” not because they’re are unmistakably two of the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But because they must be fed two or more times a day in order to survive. For many years now the entire tank gets fed multiple times a day. My Tangs, Wrasse, Clowns, Mandarins and Neil my Diamond Goby are all very pleased to share their 180 gallon reef with these multi-eaters and share in the bounty.

1. How many and what type of fish do you have that must be fed more than once a day?
C6E8DDA9-0ED7-484B-865A-840DF2B137A7.gif

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine. At least twice a day, every day!
864C813B-7883-4F44-9CDF-242736FD8674.jpeg
Twice? That’s child’s play lol. Minimum of 5X auto feeder, plus 2-3 times daily of frozen and Masstick.
Actually most fish benefit from at least 2 feedings per day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my fish 1x a day and then keep ontop of my micro fauna so if they want to feed several times a day they can do it naturally. My CBB shows no care into being fed several times a day (I did attempt that for a while but they just ignored a lot of the second feeding). So I wouldn’t really say it’s a must.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don’t have any multiple feeder fish. No anthias, just a bunch of fat wrasse.
It’s the same over here, 6 wrasses in one tank along with 5 other fish. Then 2 wrasses in my other tank along with 6 gobies and 1 blenny.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice? That’s child’s play lol. Minimum of 5X auto feeder, plus 2-3 times daily of frozen and Masstick.
So presently, apart of my “childs play” feeding schedule is to keep my Phosphates and nitrates down. Your auto feeder is I’m sure filled with pellets. That’s “ouch” in my world. My guess is you’ve got a very capable filtration system that allows you the luxury to feed well. I’m definitely on that path. An algae scrubber “cha ching” is in the works. My hope is that that will put me on the right path.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So presently, apart of my “childs play” feeding schedule is to keep my Phosphates and nitrates down. Your auto feeder is I’m sure filled with pellets. That’s “ouch” in my world. My guess is you’ve got a very capable filtration system that allows you the luxury to feed well. I’m definitely on that path. An algae scrubber “cha ching” is in the works. My hope is that that will put me on the right path.
First, I hope it was clear that I was teasing/joking with my comment. All meant in good fun. My orange spotted filefish are really the drivers of so frequently feeding. They have tiny little tube mouths and are constantly on the move like little hummingbirds. I saw a pair of them spawn for the first time last week too!

my nitrates and phosphates run high. Macro algae helps and some of it is very pretty. I use Lanthum chloride on the regular for phosphates. You can make a diy scrubber for super cheap. It’s insane how much the retail ones cost and then you open it up and see a $.30 sheet of craft mesh, essentially pvc pipe with holes, and a light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I hope it was clear that I was teasing/joking with my comment. All meant in good fun. My orange spotted filefish are really the drivers of so frequently feeding. They have tiny little tube mouths and are constantly on the move like little hummingbirds. I saw a pair of them spawn for the first time last week too!

my nitrates and phosphates run high. Macro algae helps and some of it is very pretty. I use Lanthum chloride on the regular for phosphates. You can make a diy scrubber for super cheap. It’s insane how much the retail ones cost and then you open it up and see a $.30 sheet of craft mesh, essentially pvc pipe with holes, and a light.
“It’s all good my friend” I totally get the high price for probably $20 of plastic. My deal would be the construction of the box itself and lights. I will check out diy vids on making one. Also, those file fish are great.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in your auto feeder that keeps those file fish happy? (They are beautiful!) I was feeding my Lyretail Anthias tribe a mixture of 1mm and 2mm pellets via an Avast Marine Plank feeder 4 or 5 times a day. I hope your feeding is automated. Also, what do you feed the File Fish when it is time for a "meaty" food meal?

On Masstick, I put a clump in for my Copperband every time I load up the nori feeders, as it is the only fish in the tank not interested in seaweed. (I don't know why, but both my Hoeven's and my Gold Nugget wrasses have taken a liking to the nori, much to the chagrin of my Desjardin Tang.)

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in your auto feeder that keeps those file fish happy? (They are beautiful!) I was feeding my Lyretail Anthias tribe a mixture of 1mm and 2mm pellets via an Avast Marine Plank feeder 4 or 5 times a day. I hope your feeding is automated. Also, what do you feed the File Fish when it is time for a "meaty" food meal?

On Masstick, I put a clump in for my Copperband every time I load up the nori feeders, as it is the only fish in the tank not interested in seaweed. (I don't know why, but both my Hoeven's and my Gold Nugget wrasses have taken a liking to the nori, much to the chagrin of my Desjardin Tang.)
I have a mixture of four or five tiny pellets. Chromaboost, PE Mysis, Ocean Nutrition 1 & 2, probably some others. Yes I have an auto feeder or two . They eat frozen too. Mysis, fish eggs, anything they can fit in their mouths . They are actually not picky at all.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixture of four or five tiny pellets. Chromaboost, PE Mysis, Ocean Nutrition 1 & 2, probably some others. Yes I have an auto feeder or two . They eat frozen too. Mysis, fish eggs, anything they can fit in their mouths . They are actually not picky at all.
I was running a very similar mix (anything two or less microns in pellet size). Are your files being kept with any acropora? My quick research indicates that they are supposed to eat acropora polyps in nature. But they're also apparently being bred, so maybe being raised without those polyps makes them much less inclined to eat them. Any thoughts?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running a very similar mix (anything two or less microns in pellet size). Are your files being kept with any acropora? My quick research indicates that they are supposed to eat acropora polyps in nature. But they're also apparently being bred, so maybe being raised without those polyps makes them much less inclined to eat them. Any thoughts?
I don’t keep them with acropora. Mine are wild caught and doing great on frozen food and pellets. I’ve had the 2 males close to 2 years and the females around a year.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back