Anthias, Copperband Butterfly fish and other multi-daily feeders!!!

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two “stars” in my tank are my 2 Sunburst Anthias and “Bah” my nearly famous Copperband Butterfly fish. “Stars” not because they’re are unmistakably two of the most beautiful fish in the ocean. But because they must be fed two or more times a day in order to survive. For many years now the entire tank gets fed multiple times a day. My Tangs, Wrasse, Clowns, Mandarins and Neil my Diamond Goby are all very pleased to share their 180 gallon reef with these multi-eaters and share in the bounty.

1. How many and what type of fish do you have that must be fed more than once a day?
C6E8DDA9-0ED7-484B-865A-840DF2B137A7.gif
all my stupid fish!! they're pigs! :confounded-face:

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep them with acropora. Mine are wild caught and doing great on frozen food and pellets. I’ve had the 2 males close to 2 years and the females around a year.

In a post in the not-too-distant past I said my dream tank would be a big acro tank that was large enough to feed multiple Red Sea Larvatus Butterflies (Chaetodon larvatus). If I live long enough and that happens, I'll be sure to include many Harlequin File Fish in the tank!

Then again, maybe someday I could keep a few Larvatus alive without feeding them acro polyps. There was a report in the past year or two that said they had been found in the south-eastern Mediterranean. They, or their larvae, had apparently made it through the Suez Canal from the Red Sea. And, the Mediterranean has no acros...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always fed 2x a day either manually (in the old days) or auto feed (currently). Ill throw in some frozen once a day also.

Im feeding a combo of this, in the auto feeder. Seems to be the ticket.

I've successfully kept anthias previously with my current dry food choices with no issues. Currently have 1x lyretail and 1x dispar anthias.

20220622_200524.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
4 dry and two frozen feeding daily but again, total 29 fish

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always fed 2x a day either manually (in the old days) or auto feed (currently). Ill throw in some frozen once a day also.

Im feeding a combo of this, in the auto feeder. Seems to be the ticket.

I've successfully kept anthias previously with my current dry food choices with no issues. Currently have 1x lyretail and 1x dispar anthias.

20220622_200524.jpg
Thanks for the picture. Good to hear.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon with sponges, gorgonians, two blue stripe pipefish, two banded pipes and an orange spot file. I feed at least four times a day.
Sounds like a cool tank. Congrats.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 lyretail and a CBB, I feed twice daily with frozen and pellets, and once with just pellets. Has worked out great for me thus far!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my cbb summer 2019. Eats mysis aiptasia clam. I only feed once daily and twice sometimes over the weekend. Some days I have missed. Mine is hand feeder started with worms ate mysis fairly quickly.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that guy doing? Been on the fence with trying one for some time.

On topic: personally I think basically all fish, besides some predators, require multiple feedings per day to stay really healthy.
The once in my tank that wouldn’t do well at all without it is my cooperband, regal angel, achilles tang and anthias (bimaculatus, disbar and lyre tail).
The goldflake angel doesn’t really get skinny if not feed constantly but turns in to a demon with the corals haha.

I feed pellets/flakes 4 times a day, nori most days and 5-6 cubes of mysis/angel formula/krill etc every evening. Also masstick and clams on weekends if I remember to do it.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't keep any fish that are multi-eaters in the sense that they need to feed constantly to survive.. however I work from home so am fortunate to be able to feed my tank ~ 6 or so times per day throughout the day. Since starting this a year and a half ago or so, I have noticed every fish seems 'happier', brighter, fatter, etc..

I can only image this is more similar to a reel reef, where fish get bits and pieces as the day progresses vs one big feeding at once.

Someday with a large tank and a bit more experience I hope to have a copperband like Bah though ;)

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is that guy doing? Been on the fence with trying one for some time.

On topic: personally I think basically all fish, besides some predators, require multiple feedings per day to stay really healthy.
The once in my tank that wouldn’t do well at all without it is my cooperband, regal angel, achilles tang and anthias (bimaculatus, disbar and lyre tail).
The goldflake angel doesn’t really get skinny if not feed constantly but turns in to a demon with the corals haha.

I feed pellets/flakes 4 times a day, nori most days and 5-6 cubes of mysis/angel formula/krill etc every evening. Also masstick and clams on weekends if I remember to do it.
He’s was great active healthy eating trained on clams and reef masstick fand then suddenly stopped two weeks ago. Hid behind his bommie lost his appetite and passed within 48 hours. Was only fish no visible signs of injury or parasite. Water quality same as my reef even though Fowlr. Tried. Thought it was gonna b success but not so. If u do. best of luck

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back