Anthias died after prazipro, trying to understand why.

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a sunburst anthias a month ago. I qt in normal water for 1 week then treated with coppersafe, ramping up to 2.3ppm over a weeks time and let him sit in qt for 2.5 weeks. He was 100% fine, eating like a champ, active etc. I then emptied tank, put fresh sw in and dosed with prazipro. He was fine for 2-3 hours then found him laying on side struggling to breath. He was gaping his mouth open like a yawn every few seconds. I lifted and propped him up with my hand near the current to get water flow over gills but I think it was too late and he died. The QT tank has plenty of water movement on surface including 2 airstones, heater, and pvc pipe for hiding. The water temp, ph, and salinity were matched to previous qt water. Is it possible flukes survived coppersafe and effed him up too much once the prazipro hit them?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a sunburst anthias a month ago. I qt in normal water for 1 week then treated with coppersafe, ramping up to 2.3ppm over a weeks time and let him sit in qt for 2.5 weeks. He was 100% fine, eating like a champ, active etc. I then emptied tank, put fresh sw in and dosed with prazipro. He was fine for 2-3 hours then found him laying on side struggling to breath. He was gaping his mouth open like a yawn every few seconds. I lifted and propped him up with my hand near the current to get water flow over gills but I think it was too late and he died. The QT tank has plenty of water movement on surface including 2 airstones, heater, and pvc pipe for hiding. The water temp, ph, and salinity were matched to previous qt water. Is it possible flukes survived coppersafe and effed him up too much once the prazipro hit them?

Sorry for your loss.

Anthias are known to be sensitive to medications; here is a link: https://humble.fish/medication-dosing-guide/

I have an Anthias special order in with TSM Aquatics because anthias are sensitive and I want to ensure they arrive healthy and eating when they arrive. I don't want to accidentally hurt them :(

OP
OP
graffitireef

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

Anthias are known to be sensitive to medications; here is a link: https://humble.fish/medication-dosing-guide/

I have an Anthias special order in with TSM Aquatics because anthias are sensitive and I want to ensure they arrive healthy and eating when they arrive. I don't want to accidentally hurt them :(
Thank you. Yeah, Im not very happy as I was really looking forward to putting him in my DT after this week. Now I have to restart the process all over again. I think Im going to just do a 5 min prazipro bath after the copper and then 1 week in fresh SW. Titrating copper doesnt seem to bother them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yeah, Im not very happy as I was really looking forward to putting him in my DT after this week. Now I have to restart the process all over again. I think Im going to just do a 5 min prazipro bath after the copper and then 1 week in fresh SW. Titrating copper doesnt seem to bother them.
Sorry - I missed your post the first time around, and just stumbled on it now.

Copper doesn't treat for flukes. You used coppersafe, and that would have been safe for the anthias.

Two likely scenarios: moving the anthias to a tank with 100% new water caused some unknown stress. Presuming that you did that properly (no pH or salinity change) then the second scenario is probably what happened: that species of anthias is prone to flukes. During the course of the copper treatment, the flukes can multiply. Then, when dosed with prazi, all of the flukes fall off. This leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's skin and they bleed out. The only work around I have is to give the fish a FW dip in the first week or so of copper. This kills off any adult flukes. Then, when copper is done, you can dose with prazi and the flukes have not yet built back to high numbers.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back