Anthias gasping at surface. Pls help.

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8d360fe870a5c846805e3391f1292361.jpg

06243ee200d6626ea092a40a406a3010.jpg

Just got 4 madder seaperch anthias acclimated them for 2 hours after that I put them in qt. The other 3 are doing fine, they are stressed but nothing much of problem.
But the one in picture is constantly gasping on the surface and was doing the same during acclimation also. Mind you they’ve been shipped after a long 20 hours journey. I’ve inspected for possible disease but so far I can’t see any, what should I do.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder disease is likely the issue. I am no expert here so hopefully someone will chime in quickly for a solution.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish gulping for air is low on oxygen. Something going on in gills.

This can be from a few things.

Ammonia burn is possible if you drip acclimated. We don't recommend drip acclimation for this reason.

Recommend a 30 minute bath in methalyne blue.

Parasite infested gills are another possibility.

Are these guys eating? Belly looks sunken on this fish. I understand you just got them.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ammonia burn is possible if you drip acclimated. We don't recommend drip acclimation for this reason.

Are these guys eating? Belly looks sunken on this fish. I understand you just got them.

Sadly this one passed away. I’m left with 3 now. They’re not eating as I’ve just got them today only and they’ve travelled a journey of 17+hours. So the guys are pretty stressed, tried feeding them but they ain’t accepting it.
Maybe I’ll try feeding them tomorrow.
Do you suspect any disease, they’re currently in qt and I can treat them if I suspect something.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fishes are sitting on the bottom and not eating anything.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0ce1c7fb84ef0096fea5ae7e257092d9.jpg

9215746b858ccf01527ddcfdc9178c31.jpg

All three fishes are holed up there only not accepting food and not swimming much. I’m at a loss should I be preparing myself for a medication of tank or is it just that they’re still stressed of journey.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know they are shy fish and should be given some hiding places. They also are not a fan of bright lights...
They don't look too bad actually otherwise. I would give them a little more time before considering medication without any real proof as to what might be wrong with them.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know they are shy fish and should be given some hiding places. They also are not a fan of bright lights...
They don't look too bad actually otherwise. I would give them a little more time before considering medication without any real proof as to what might be wrong with them.

Actually there’s no light over their tank it’s just coral qt that’s running beside this tank. So the light is from that tank. And it’s not too bright over fish qt. Yeah I’ll observe them further but the main concern is they aren’t eating food.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are stressed it will likely be a few days before eating, I would add some sort of hiding place for them during quarantine.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This person gave you solid advise and possibilities.

+1 on the ammonia burn as it sounds like you improperly acclimated them from shipment.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This person gave you solid advise and possibilities.

+1 on the ammonia burn as it sounds like you improperly acclimated them from shipment.

Yes Maybe, but that fish has already passed away sadly. But currently I’m left with 3 anthias in qt, they’re hiding beneath sponge filter the whole day not eating at all, and are very very stressed, also breathing very heavily.
I’m doubting velvet, I’ve my fingers crossed. I just hope they start eating.
I’ve successfully qt’d my fish with only feeding them metro and kana diet. Hence I don’t want to use any dosing of prazi, para or copper without being completely sure.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Maybe, but that fish has already passed away sadly. But currently I’m left with 3 anthias in qt, they’re hiding beneath sponge filter the whole day not eating at all, and are very very stressed, also breathing very heavily.
I’m doubting velvet, I’ve my fingers crossed. I just hope they start eating.
I’ve successfully qt’d my fish with only feeding them metro and kana diet. Hence I don’t want to use any dosing of prazi, para or copper without being completely sure.

Have you tried cyclops as everyone mentioned above? I do not keep any anthias so I cant be of much help there. Disease is a different story...

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cyclops as everyone mentioned above? I do not keep any anthias so I cant be of much help there. Disease is a different story...

No it’s not available in any market or on online near me. I’ve tried mysis shrimp as the fs told me he kept them on that. Then I tried brine too, then I tried my homemade food mixed with mysis and brine, which other fishes eat. But they just aren’t eating it.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for flow in the tank? Was the QT cycled?

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also the fishes are wiggling at the same spot, it swims a little and then wiggles at the same spot. Also when they’re resting they’re tilted to one side. Not straight(or flat as you may say it) like any other fishes, is this common with anthias??

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back