Anthias hiding, should I be worried?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dispar anthias has been hiding in a cave since sometime yesterday and hasn’t come out to eat. I have had him about a year and he normally only goes into his cave to sleep at night. Should I be worried? I added a BTA and new coral frag to the tank on Saturday. Ammonia is 0, ph about 8.1, nitrates 4, phosphates .16, and sg is 1.026

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite possible that your BTA stung the anthias. May have been trying to get food near by. I would give it some time to adjust. Hopefully it gets back to normal.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias is still hiding ... he is in a cave where I can barely see him. He is floating vertically against the cave wall. When I fed the tank I saw him start to swim out but then it looked like he got suctioned to the top of the cave for a few seconds then went back to his vertical floating position. Could this be swim bladder disorder? What do I do for him? I’m not even sure how to get him out of the cave to treat him

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anthias is still hiding ... he is in a cave where I can barely see him. He is floating vertically against the cave wall. When I fed the tank I saw him start to swim out but then it looked like he got suctioned to the top of the cave for a few seconds then went back to his vertical floating position. Could this be swim bladder disorder? What do I do for him? I’m not even sure how to get him out of the cave to treat him
If it was swim bladder, it’s very unlikely the fish would be able to control itself well enough to hide in a cave like that.

I’m thinking the fish may just be on its way out, sometimes we cannot know for sure why.

What other tankmates do you have?

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other tankmates do you have?

A ruby head wrasse, two clowns, and a pink spotted goby. They all seem perfectly fine. I'm going to try hand feeding him by trying to get some tweezers in cave. The opening is on the side of the tank so its a little awkward to get to unfortunetly. I really hope he isn't just on his way out, he was the first fish in the tank almost a year ago and I was planning on moving him and the wrasse to a new reefer 350 that I'm setting up in a couple weeks. :(

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A ruby head wrasse, two clowns, and a pink spotted goby. They all seem perfectly fine. I'm going to try hand feeding him by trying to get some tweezers in cave. The opening is on the side of the tank so its a little awkward to get to unfortunetly. I really hope he isn't just on his way out, he was the first fish in the tank almost a year ago and I was planning on moving him and the wrasse to a new reefer 350 that I'm setting up in a couple weeks. :(
Most anthias have needs I was never able to replicate, namely the frequency of feedings. I feed my fish once per day typically, and that won’t work long-term for them, they starve out slowly, unfortunately.

There are others on the #reefsquad that are more knowedgeable about anthias that may be able to chime in. It’s been a decade since I’ve tried one!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Rod's frozen twice a day. He always goes crazy for it and eats like a pig. Would starvation make him hide like that though?
If weak and not getting enough sustenance, it’s certainly possible but I’m not sure how much more frequently anthias should eat, so I’m not much help.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use some vitamin C and B12 for the stress;)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question I'd like to know as well. Iv'e looked at Vitamin C but it has a bunch of other additives.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? You can give fish vitamins? How?
Yes, I have used it in different forms for many moon:). Back in the day I used to grind up vitamin c tabs and add them to the tank, then powdered vitamin c, now I use viamarin C and M from bright well. I am going to run out soon and mess around with another product. Here is an old thread here on R2R link. here are more threads here also link

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back