Anthias not eating, hiding

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a juvenile anthias. Captive bred.

The female adult anthias stopped eating. Juvenile kept eating. Male kept eating.

Now the male is hiding as well, and the juvenile is hiding because I was trying to catch it (wanted to put it in sump to see if it is something to do with aggression or pecking order.

I don't see any disease, no other fish is acting odd. Everything else is eating fine. Not sure what's going on.

I've been through enough diseases to catch them on my own, but I'm stumped.

It's been about a week, I was worrying about velvet, but I'm thinking no. Gills look fine to me?

Attachments

• 20210318_143154.mp4
    89.2 MB
  • 20210318_143339.mp4
    35.3 MB

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long ago did you add her? If it was recently I wouldn’t be overly concerned with a new female they’ll need to sort out the pecking order a little. What are you feeding them?

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's just under a week. I feed my tank LRS fish frenzy and Reef frenzy. I have alot of different foods, and sometimes change it up randomly for them. But those are my main foods.

I added two Lyretails, one did die. Ate a little then stopped, didn't look to have disease either. No flashing, breathing normally, normal swimming. Just the same hiding no eating as the others are now doing. But that one is possible to not have eaten for a while. I was wondering if it pecking order, and I imagine my coming over with a flash light all the time isn't helping.

At the moment, all anthias are hiding and not eating or anything. Very weird for my tank

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might just have a pair that isn’t open to anymore ‘friends’ with that said they can hide sometimes for a while. I have 15 in my tank and sometimes I think I lost one and a day or so later it’s back. If it were me I’d leave them be and see how it goes. Also the fish in the video doesn’t look thin from what I could see just freaked out from the light. If you see the pair start to come out and the third is always on her own or is chased off by the pair I’d consider finding her a new home.

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple days ago my original two were eating like pigs. The male last ate like a pig yesterday. The juvi also has been eating like crazy until an hour ago. So nobody is starving....yet.

I'm just trying to see if it's sickness before it kills something much more expensive like the jap golden hawkfish. They are probably freaked out by me, I've been shining a flash light into crevasses all dang day ahah

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing, is they original two, have never been the type to hide. Just absolute opposite atm.

I need to rehome my hawkfish lol he's a bit of a fatty patty bully

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, male just showed up and is hanging out right next to the adult female.

Hiding

I'll just have to watch. They are very quickly and quietly moving from spot to spot..not sure what the deal is.

Attachments

• 20210318_155913.jpg
    20210318_155913.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still Alice, the juvenile was eating today, but hiding a little. Other two still hiding. No sign of disease

OP
OP
H

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?

another update, still alive. They are getting antsy today. Looked like maybe they wanted to eat, might have eaten, not sure couldn't get close enough without scaring them. It looks like they are getting hungry enough to want to eat. I don't think it's sickness, I think they are mad about the new anthias and I can't catch it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back