Anthias Qt Plans - thoughts?

Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time!

Based on BRS's 80/20 - I'm going to do phase 2 first, being that the fish are anthias, I'm more concerned about uronema than ick/brook at the start.

Day 1
Fish arrive
Acclimated to qt tank parameters
30 minute bath Formalin
30 minute bath Methylene Blue
Air stone during each bath

Days 3, 6, 9, and 12
Repeat Formalin bath
Sanitize and reset qt tank 100% water change

Feed once daily with frozen food prepared with focus and metro per Post in thread 'What’s the best medication for treating internal parasites' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...ating-internal-parasites.930835/post-10524120

Days 15, 18, 21, and 24
Copper power
2.5 tested with hannah
Furan 2 per instructions on box

Day 27 in the display tank if no symptoms or deaths.

Please provide any feedback you may have.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just do one or two formalin baths. 5 seems a bit much.

For anthias I QT'd recently,
I started them off with a 1 hour formalin bath, followed by meth blue bath. (I use Safety Stop dip for this)
then placed them into copper/prazi QT for 30+ days.

The Furan 2 will discolor the water and you will need to do several large (or one 100%) water change to get it all out.
I'd skip it unless the fish are showing any signs of bacterial or fungal issues after the copper treatment.

What kind of anthias?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for your time!

Based on BRS's 80/20 - I'm going to do phase 2 first, being that the fish are anthias, I'm more concerned about uronema than ick/brook at the start.

Day 1
Fish arrive
Acclimated to qt tank parameters
30 minute bath Formalin
30 minute bath Methylene Blue
Air stone during each bath

Days 3, 6, 9, and 12
Repeat Formalin bath

Feed once daily with frozen food prepared with focus and metro per Post in thread 'What’s the best medication for treating internal parasites' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what’s-the-best-medication-for-treating-internal-parasites.930835/post-10524120

Days 15, 18, 21, and 24
Copper power
2.5 tested with hannah
Furan 2 per instructions on box

Day 27 in the display tank if no symptoms or deaths.

Please provide any feedback you may have.
You will likely not find furan and in lieu of copper, i recommend coppersafe or copperpower at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 but for a full 30 days, not 5 as video shows.
For metro, you will want to apply at .5gm weight to foods

OP
OP
B

Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Anthias Ignitus

I planned on using the Safety Stop as well. The of they show signs seems like a good idea.

I planned on copper power for 15 days, you both suggest 30?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned on copper power for 15 days, you both suggest 30?

Yes, I go 30 days min at 2.5 copper power.
Be sure to dose your water change water up to 2.5ppm also before doing any water changes.
Don't let it drop below 2.5ppm at all for 30 days.

At least, that's what I do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, I’d use our protocol (grin).
What is the formalin dose used? It seems a lot of formalin dips, not sure what they are trying to use them for.
Jay

OP
OP
B

Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 dips, are supposed to be used while the fish is in copper. They also suggest, that one could separate the two treatments to lessen the stress, but it would extend the time in qt.

The formalin is for uronema and brook primarily. They say that it will also treat for flukes.

What's your protocol?

I lost 3 recently in qt due to uronema - so I'm super focused there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 dips, are supposed to be used while the fish is in copper. They also suggest, that one could separate the two treatments to lessen the stress, but it would extend the time in qt.

The formalin is for uronema and brook primarily. They say that it will also treat for flukes.

What's your protocol?

I lost 3 recently in qt due to uronema - so I'm super focused there.

Our quarantine protocol is here:
It is less stressful than the one you propose, but it won't handle Brooklynella.

Formalin won't treat inter-cellular Uronema - the formalin can't get down into the tissues where the protozoans are living. By the time the lesion breaks the surface, it is too late. I've used formalin on external uronema, the kind that seahorses get and it works pretty well.

Formalin dips will kill flukes, but the fish get reinfected after each dip. I prefer praziquantel or hyposalinity to guard against flukes.

I don't like using formalin and copper at the same time - at least not formalin at normal dipping concentrations of ~150 ppm - I think it is too stressful.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay!

In the protocol you referenced, how does it do to address inter-cellular Uronema?

I was going to use the formalin for external and metro for internal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay!

In the protocol you referenced, how does it do to address inter-cellular Uronema?

I was going to use the formalin for external and metro for internal.

There just doesn't seem to be any workable treatment for intra cellular Uronema. I saw some recent posts about a vet who injected fish with a anti-protozoal drug and supposedly cured a maroon clownfish, but I never saw that they had a definitive diagnosis of the problem to begin with.

For me, the best defense is to avoid the problem to begin with; not buying long supply chain Chromis, Anthias and yellow coris wrasse from SE Asia seems to be the best bet.

Here is an article I wrote on Uronema some time ago:

Jay

OP
OP
B

Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"not buying long supply chain Chromis, Anthias and yellow coris wrasse from SE Asia seems to be the best bet."

That seems like very specific and actionable advice. How do you stay away from these sellers?

Thanks for all of your time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"not buying long supply chain Chromis, Anthias and yellow coris wrasse from SE Asia seems to be the best bet."

That seems like very specific and actionable advice. How do you stay away from these sellers?

Thanks for all of your time.

Yes, I understand following that advice at the hobbyist level is difficult because the fish have passed through a number of hands before reaching you. If I was presented with buying those fish, without the source being known, I would pass on them (especially the green chromis)....the mortality rate is just too high.

If you want to take a deeper dive into this, here is an article I posted here recently:

Jay

Back