Anthias quarantine meds of choice?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind there is other reason can get red looking spots. It might not be what you immediately think. Won't hurt running a treatment. Sometime worst case it wont fix it anyway. Your doing the best one can do qt, treat, wait, watch, etc..

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 99% uronema. First, they had a TON of chromis infested with severe uronema. And second…there was a anthias with an active outbreak of uronema in the tank. I personally never knew how bad uronema was. I thought a basic metro dose would cure it.

I ended up giving ALL the anthias a formalin bath (highest dose possible). They all survived the bath and are eating. I will check back tomorrow and see if any perished. If they survived, I have high hopes they’ll live to see the DT.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ps. I’m not counting on these fish surviving. Anything can happen and I fully accept it. This is a type of fish I would purchase pre QT’d in the future as mortality rate is very high.

Im happy I did the formalin bath. They are in the same QT but with a diatom filter and metro dosed in the water. They main purpose was killing the uronema that was on the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say “feed for 3 days” is that every other day for 3 doses, or it is literally 3 days in a row.

I always “learned” that medicated foods with metro should be for 12-14 days but every other day.
I've done long term metro treatments, but I continually would see the fish stop eating the medicated food. The three day treatment is from Noga. daily, as the sole diet for three days then stop. I think you would be pretty safe in starting it up again after a week or so.

Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done long term metro treatments, but I continually would see the fish stop eating the medicated food. The three day treatment is from Noga. daily, as the sole diet for three days then stop. I think you would be pretty safe in starting it up again after a week or so.

Jay
I concur fish just don't like that med. Even just dosing it to the water they wont eat.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you buy anything then that's just crazy.
Because I didn’t know better. I already planned on dosing metro regardless and I assumed it would eradicate uronema as long as symptoms weren’t present (which they weren’t at the time). I assumed uronema was easy to treat for from lack of experience.

Anyway, the deed was done. These fish would die regardless of me purchasing them or not. I got them really cheap (25 each) and I’m giving them the best fighting chance they got.

tuan12321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop overdosing meds and stressing them out. Feed them brine / mysis mix with metroplex and kanaplex + focus. If they keep eating, chances are they will survive. Its when anthias don't eat you can bet on them dying.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop overdosing meds and stressing them out. Feed them brine / mysis mix with metroplex and kanaplex + focus. If they keep eating, chances are they will survive. Its when anthias don't eat you can bet on them dying.
I agree with this. I learned the hard way.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I prefer not to catch up anthias unless I really need to - with that whole eye damage/popeye thing that they get so easily.
I wasn't aware of this. I just bought 3 lyretail anthias from the LFS that are in QT right now. One developed a cloudy eye after a couple of days. I have been treating for a bacterial infection. Maybe it's trauma?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't aware of this. I just bought 3 lyretail anthias from the LFS that are in QT right now. One developed a cloudy eye after a couple of days. I have been treating for a bacterial infection. Maybe it's trauma?

Typically, one cloudy eye is from trauma, possibly with secondary bacterial infection. Protozoan and flukes infections usually cause both eyes to be cloudy. Of course, serious trauma could involve BOTH eyes, but we rarely see that.

Jay

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you heard of or tested tea tree oil treatment? I’m not fully up to date on the process but I know humblefish, and fish hotel have been experimenting using it to treat uronema with positive results although not all fish handle it well. I know there are many different methods in qt and such so I’m not trying to stir the pot on anything but I’m curious because I’ve wanted anthias and chromis for a while now but uronema scares me away.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, one cloudy eye is from trauma, possibly with secondary bacterial infection. Protozoan and flukes infections usually cause both eyes to be cloudy. Of course, serious trauma could involve BOTH eyes, but we rarely see that.

Jay
Cool, at this point it's one eye and she's acting normal and eating. All I can get them to eat is mysis. They spit out several types of pellets.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back