Anthias Saga continues...Please help

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have followed my Anthias Ich problem here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anthias-with-ich.816743/#post-8761981.

There is an update I need help with. I'm 3 days into full strength copper treatment ( 2.0 ppm Coppersafe/Hanna checker). Two of the Anthias, and the hawkfish are doing fine. Eating and swimming as usual. However, one female Anthias has not eaten in two days, stays close to the bottom, and looks ragged. Shows no interest in food/swimming/anything else.

I'm afraid she is going to die, if I don't do something else quick. I can do TTM on her alone....and leave the others in Copper. But just know what's best.

Looking for any and all advice before she dies.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo you started another emergency thread on the same thing? I understand you want help but everyone is helping all they can in one thread stating a new one doesn't help

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo you started another emergency thread on the same thing? I understand you want help but everyone is helping all they can in one thread stating a new one doesn't help
Its a different problem....a dying fish, as opposed to how to treat Ich. But I understand. Sorry. I'm not sure if I can delete...but I'll try.

Edited to add....Can't seem to delete. Please just ignore.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
can you post latest pics to perform the best assessment of current issue ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a different problem....a dying fish, as opposed to how to treat Ich. But I understand. Sorry. I'm not sure if I can delete...but I'll try.

Edited to add....Can't seem to delete. Please just ignore.
Sometimes, copper just isn't fast enough to stop fish loss. Can you post of picture of this fish? Any chance it is getting picked on?

Jay

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best video I could get:
Sick Anthias

and the best picture:
IMG_FAC5A9CF5D23-1.jpeg

Sorry it is so blurry. My iphone camera was limited. The fish was getting picked on prior to the Ich, and Copper Treatment. I put a aquarium separator (the black thing she is push against), so she hasn't been chased for 3 days - or since I started Copper.

I'm just at a loss. I hate to lose her.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best video I could get:
Sick Anthias

and the best picture:
IMG_FAC5A9CF5D23-1.jpeg

Sorry it is so blurry. My iphone camera was limited. The fish was getting picked on prior to the Ich, and Copper Treatment. I put a aquarium separator (the black thing she is push against), so she hasn't been chased for 3 days - or since I started Copper.

I'm just at a loss. I hate to lose her.
I can’t see if it has any tail fin damage, but I can see it is breathing rapid and shallowly. I can’t see any ich on it, so the TTM probably won’t help and would only increase the stress from handling. I think you just need to stay the course and hope for the best with it.
Jay

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I usually like to use TTM, but when they are already stressed out I don’t think it’s a good idea. Isolating and keep treating with copper is my recommendation

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
small female.jpg

The other smaller female looked ragged this morning. When I first went in, she was laying at the bottom. However, she did eat. She is separated from the larger Anthias as well - but you can see that her fins are ragged. The long nose hawkfish has never shown ANY aggression....so I'm not sure if this is related to the treatment/sickness....or something else. I have my fingers crossed since at least she is still eating. I will do a large water change this morning (making sure copper is maintained at the right level)

If anyone has any other ideas about what might be happening....I'm all ears.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharp tears in fins like that are almost always caused be aggression from another fish. The trouble is, you may never see the act itself, the fish tend to behave when you’re around. One trick is to leave your phone videoing the tank and then leave the room.
Based on the fin damage though, you should isolate this fish from all others until it heals.
Jay

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish was moved yesterday. Today, the Anthias is refusing food, and now appears to have an eye injury. She is breathing fast - and shallow. Is there any hope?

tempImage1M53F0.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look rough. Eye damage is really common in these if they smack into the tank wall or when they are netted.
Just to check, it is still in full copper?
Jay

OP
OP
clhardy5

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look rough. Eye damage is really common in these if they smack into the tank wall or when they are netted.
Just to check, it is still in full copper?
Jay
Yes. 2ppm Coppersafe. Oh....and I didn't net her. I just lifted the black barrier, and scooted the Hawkfish to the other side. For reference, the other Anthias is doing great. Eating and swimming, and getting fat.Healthy Anthias

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back