Anthias skin peeling or somwthing growing on its skin

Acylontrile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, fairly new to the hobbie here about 4 month in. I bought a Barlett anthias, a lyretail anthias, and a purple tang about 2 weeks ago. I have them in my 13.5 gallon cycled quarantine tank with a few pvc pipes. I also do have a skimmer in there to aerate and take out some gunk out of the water.
Last night I saw that my lyretail has a white fuzz on his forehead and the side. It kinda looks either like the skin is flaking a bit or something is growing on it. What is this?
(She is still actively swimming and eating)

Quick summary of my 2 week quarintine:

I'm running about 0.4 to 0.5 of cupramine since my purple tang seemed to have ich or marine velvet the 3rd day (most likely ich). I havnt seen any ich on all 3 of the fish for over a week now. But what is this white fuzzy fungus or dead skin? Should I be worried?

20210120_184739.jpg 20210120_191436.jpg 20210120_191300.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a small tank - what is your ammonia running at and how are you testing it?

With an anthias with skin problems, people commonly jump to Uronema or even Brooklynella as the diagnosis. I'm not so sure in this case because the fish is still eating. It could be mucus as a reaction to water quality issues, or it could be a generalized bacterial issue. If it IS a protozoan, the fish is already in full copper, so not much else you can do.

If the ammonia level is being kept below 0.25 mg/l, I would consider dosing with an antibiotic....

Jay

OP
OP
A

Acylontrile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a small tank - what is your ammonia running at and how are you testing it?

With an anthias with skin problems, people commonly jump to Uronema or even Brooklynella as the diagnosis. I'm not so sure in this case because the fish is still eating. It could be mucus as a reaction to water quality issues, or it could be a generalized bacterial issue. If it IS a protozoan, the fish is already in full copper, so not much else you can do.

If the ammonia level is being kept below 0.25 mg/l, I would consider dosing with an antibiotic....

Jay
Ammonia is at 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider dosing with a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic, such as neoplex.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Acylontrile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider dosing with a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic, such as neoplex.
Jay
I have some erythromycin on hand, im assuming it is the same medication?
I swung by lfs this evening and showed them the picture. The lfs told me it might possibly be fluke, but it doesn't really look like worms at all. I tried giving it a freshwater dip for 3min. Nothing really fell off of it.
Should I even try dosing prazipro? Or go straight to erythromycin?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some erythromycin on hand, im assuming it is the same medication?
I swung by lfs this evening and showed them the picture. The lfs told me it might possibly be fluke, but it doesn't really look like worms at all. I tried giving it a freshwater dip for 3min. Nothing really fell off of it.
Should I even try dosing prazipro? Or go straight to erythromycin?
Erythromycin has more activity against gram positive bacteria and most external bacterial diseases of marine fish are gram negative. Kanamycin, Minocycline or Neomycin. It doesn't look like flukes to me, but diagnosing on just a picture is tough, and I suppose it could be.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back