Anthias with something on fin

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of days ago, one of my lyretail anthias developed a spot of some sort on its tail maybe an 1/8" long. Today the the area of the fin where the spot was is completely gone. The fish is eating and acting fine I just wanted a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. I've tried to search and the best I can tell is that it is bacterial? I've been checking water parameters like crazy every day since, but everything has been good. None of the other fish are exhibiting any symptoms yet.
IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do the other anthias look? Appears to be both lympho on the fin and brook or similar on body which questions water quality and diet
What is she of tank, current parameters and food being fed?

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, the one anthias is the only fish showing symptoms. The tank is a 150g, 6 anthias, yellow tang and a clown. There isn't anything on the body, maybe a bad picture, just the dorsal fin. Being fed a blend of mysis and rod's food soaked in selcon.
0-ammonia
.5-nitrate
8.1-ph

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of days ago, one of my lyretail anthias developed a spot of some sort on its tail maybe an 1/8" long. Today the the area of the fin where the spot was is completely gone. The fish is eating and acting fine I just wanted a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. I've tried to search and the best I can tell is that it is bacterial? I've been checking water parameters like crazy every day since, but everything has been good. None of the other fish are exhibiting any symptoms yet.
IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

Do you mean the notch in the soft part of the dorsal fin? That is likely a bite from another anthias that has gotten a secondary bacterial infection. It may heal itself, but the fighting can continue, or even get worse. Sometimes, groups of anthias just don't work out. I presume the fish picture was taken earlier than the second one, that shows me the advancing infection.
The treatment would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Furan-2 or Neoplex.

Jay

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back