Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Red Sea - 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel

With my aquascape complete and the tank filled it was time to get all of the controllers and wires cleaned up. I am using the large slide out control panel for this setup and overall I am impressed with how easy the installation was. I think they did a good job of making it pretty intuitive and bullet proof. I think the only downside to their design or implementation of it -- they should have had a standoff on the back of the board to allow for mounting on the back of the panel.

I think these companies (especially Red Sea) could better anticipate some of the benefits and maximize the effectiveness of a product. Including some 4" spacers for the board to the drawer slides and pre-drilling holes in the corners and off set center of the board for pass-thru would have basically made this design perfect. Doing so would have allowed for the mount of power bricks and and a little easier cord management!

300xl_12.png

I refused to be deterred though! And I didn't really feel like busting out the hole saw myself until I actually *need* to create more space for the controller board. I do want to also commend Red Sea on the design to allow for some space both below and above the board with clearance for the floor and ceiling of the cabinet. I was able to maximize space by mounting my Vortech and Vectra controller as well as my Apex a little over both edges. I also flipped my Apex brain upside down to maximize my cord management!

Like I said originally -- this isn't a perfect implementation yet and I have a few things I need to do to better tuck in cables and make the pull out function return in seemlessly as far as re-tucking the end sections after the slide is pulled out and pushed back in - but it is definitely an improvement over the cord nest I had brewing for the initial fill and mixing within the tank!

300xl_13.png

At this point the tank has been filled and cycling for a month. I'm waiting on a lid to be delivered and then I will hopefully begin to add fish! I need to spend some time on a weekend and re-do some of the wiring that I'm not happy with as far as the controller pull out functionality.

Thanks for reading my update!

Aubie1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Can you post a pic of the board pulled out so we can see all that cable management in all it's glory?

alfpiccolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea - 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel

With my aquascape complete and the tank filled it was time to get all of the controllers and wires cleaned up. I am using the large slide out control panel for this setup and overall I am impressed with how easy the installation was. I think they did a good job of making it pretty intuitive and bullet proof. I think the only downside to their design or implementation of it -- they should have had a standoff on the back of the board to allow for mounting on the back of the panel.

I think these companies (especially Red Sea) could better anticipate some of the benefits and maximize the effectiveness of a product. Including some 4" spacers for the board to the drawer slides and pre-drilling holes in the corners and off set center of the board for pass-thru would have basically made this design perfect. Doing so would have allowed for the mount of power bricks and and a little easier cord management!

300xl_12.png

I refused to be deterred though! And I didn't really feel like busting out the hole saw myself until I actually *need* to create more space for the controller board. I do want to also commend Red Sea on the design to allow for some space both below and above the board with clearance for the floor and ceiling of the cabinet. I was able to maximize space by mounting my Vortech and Vectra controller as well as my Apex a little over both edges. I also flipped my Apex brain upside down to maximize my cord management!

Like I said originally -- this isn't a perfect implementation yet and I have a few things I need to do to better tuck in cables and make the pull out function return in seemlessly as far as re-tucking the end sections after the slide is pulled out and pushed back in - but it is definitely an improvement over the cord nest I had brewing for the initial fill and mixing within the tank!

300xl_13.png

At this point the tank has been filled and cycling for a month. I'm waiting on a lid to be delivered and then I will hopefully begin to add fish! I need to spend some time on a weekend and re-do some of the wiring that I'm not happy with as far as the controller pull out functionality.

Thanks for reading my update!
Thank you so much for sharing. Will continue to follow.. I also have a empty 300XL G2 sitting in my family room waiting for me. between Ca RX and Chiller, RO Reservoir, UV Sterilizer, controllers...need to plan all the space needed outside of the tank.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress! My main concern would be having the UV filter completely inline on the return pump. Does the required flow rate of the UV filter different much from the flow rate of the return pump? The slower the flow over UV the more effective it is (depending on what you're trying to target with UV), whereas return pump flow is usually much higher. Not to mention all those kinks and bends in the return line will reduce it's effective flow rate back into the display tank.

Last edited:

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm only choosing to run a ReefMat 500 on my 750XXL, so I think waiting to swap out the 1200 for the 500 is a great choice.
Agreed. I have the 300XL and the RM 500. I can’t imagine the 1200 being remotely manageable. Best case, you’d have to remove it anytime you wanted to the get the RSK 300 out of the sump for cleaning etc. (I have the same skimmer.)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I have the 300XL and the RM 500. I can’t imagine the 1200 being remotely manageable. Best case, you’d have to remove it anytime you wanted to the get the RSK 300 out of the sump for cleaning etc. (I have the same skimmer.)
I ended up upgrading to the ReefMat 1200 in the end as I was just going through the smaller 500 rolls too quickly (every 6-7 days). I get between 20-24 days with a 1200 roll now.

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment Selection - Part 2

I’m certain that the most time-consuming part of the setup was working with the plumbing for the UV sterilizer while also trying to make sure there was enough room for access with the protein skimmer and the ReefMat. After unboxing the Red Sea ReefMat 1200 I quickly figured out that it was not going to be an option for this size setup. It fit within the stand and sump just fine but it would have made all maintenance going forward a nightmare. I am in the process of exchanging it for a 500 whenever they are back in stock.

On the topic of sump filtration I think I will take a little time to talk about the Red Sea RSK 300. I think I’m an individual that has rather considerable brand loyalty – especially within this hobby/industry. I almost exclusively use Royal Exclusive’s Bubble King skimmers for all of my aquariums. However, I was concerned that I simply would not be able to get consistent foam and skimmate production from a Bubble King due to the small size of the Reefer XL 300 G2 and the aggressive filtration via the ReefMat.

300xl_09.png

After speaking with my LFS and checking reviews and posts around the internet I decided that I would give the RSK 300 a chance. I will say that I did like the standard features as far as the drain hose and the window / built in neck cleaner. But I can’t look past the noise that this skimmer generates. In my initial research I did notice quite a number of opinions / reviews talking about the noise. I had originally thought this was in reference to the AC vs DC pump. My personal experience points to the pump being absolutely silent and the air intake/silencer being extremely loud in comparison to pretty much everything else in my sump.

There is a bit of hyperbole and exaggeration here but the muffler on this skimmer is by far louder than both the filter socks and the return pump. The hum is reminiscent of a hair dryer being used in the bathroom on the other side of the house! I will definitely be taking this skimmer out and replacing it with something a little quieter. I will say that the foam and versatility of this skimmer was great. It’s probably not even that loud for most applications but its by far the loudest thing on my tank.
Gret build. A couple of questions. 1. Is the skimmer still loud? 2. Do you need to remove the dividers in the sump to fit both the skimmer and the Reefmat?

DavidG44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea Reefer XL - 300 G2

• Aquarium
    • 65 gallons - 36"L x 22.6"W x 22"H with 1/2" glass
  • Sump
    • 15 gallons - 18.7"L x 18.5"W x 13.5"H
  • Filtration
    • Red Sea ReefMat 500
  • Return Pump
    • EcoTech Marine Vectra S2
  • Powerheads
    • EcoTech Marine MP40mQD x2
  • Lighting
    • Ecotech Marine Radion XR15 G6 x2
  • Skimmer
    • Red Sea RSK 300
  • UV
    • Aqua Ultraviolet Classic - 57 Watt
  • ATO
    • Tunze Osmolator 3155
  • Controller
    • ApexEL w/ Leak Detection and AFS
  • Organization
    • Red Sea 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel
  • RODI
    • BRS 7 Stage w/ 200 GPD water saver
  • Rock
    • Marco Rock w/ two base pieces

Table of Contents

300xl_01.png

Introduction

I’ve finally begun a new build after tearing down my previous tank due to issues in my personal life. I’ve made the decision to go with a simple all-in-one set up instead of the custom route and I’m excited to enjoy a plug and play lifestyle again. I have owned three Red Sea tanks during my time in the hobby – including a C-250 Max, a Red Sea Max Nano, and a Red Sea Reefer 525XL that I never got around to setting up.

I had been contemplating setting up a new system for sometime and when my eye was caught by an announcement for the G2 Reefer tanks I decided to go ahead and place an order. I was torn between the 300 XL and a 425 XL and I went back and forth between the two options for a few days. Ultimately I decided it would be a more manageable system and purchase if I went with the 300 XL.

For me personally – I didn’t see a lot of value in the price increase from the 36” to 48” footprint. 800$ for 12” of length was excessive in my mind. Coupled with the need for additional lighting and flow I just didn’t feel the desire to go that route. However, I will concede that the additional length would have been very nice as far as the sump and additional filtration and space beneath the stand.

300xl_02.png

My previous build was a custom tank, a custom stand, my own equipment choices as far as sump, plumbing, overflow, etc. I really enjoyed the process and the sense of accomplishment with setting up that tank but it really was a nightmare as far as trying to get everything to come together while also achieving a quality that I was happy with. I remember the headaches of confirming the drilling template for the overflow, the back and forth over the tank design, bracing options, shipping delays, etc. I especially remember the time spent trying to design, order and build a custom aluminum stand.

With these frustrations in my memory, I was very pleased and excited to be able to order a kit and just build it and be prepared to add water. In total it took me a little over two hours to unpack the boxes, build the stand, lift the tank by myself, and get the plumbing and sump installed. It was so seamless and easy in comparison to a custom or bespoke route. I don’t know if I’ll ever willingly go back to a custom tank builder!

300xl_03.png
I have a Red Sea reefer 300XL I just purchased a 25watt uv and a vectra m2 and I’m connecting it uv direct to return pump what flow would you recommend me to run since it’s going to be running directly from return pump to main tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 300XL I just purchased a 25watt uv and a vectra m2 and I’m connecting it uv direct to return pump what flow would you recommend me to run since it’s going to be running directly from return pump to main tank
I run my vectra M2 at 45% on my XL300 tank for the right amount of sump turnover. Not sure how that will work with a UV on a split. Are you going to run uv 24 7 or have it on a separate program?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back