any advice

cicih

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clownfish keep burrowing himself into the feather duster. Do I need to get an anemone for him? Will the anemone eat my other fish? what kind of anemone is the safest?

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it enjoys your feather duster :)
The clowns I keep took a long time before they started swimming all over the tank, especially the smaller one took almost a full year before it started really trusting itself to swim all over the territory. They have been dancing and playing all over the tank after they started to really trust the territory as their own.

It does not have to have any anemone to feel good. The common anemones in the trade which are unsafe for clownfishes are the long tentacle anemones & the rock anemones. Generally your clown will keep other fish away from any 'nem that it hosts.

The anemones that lives in deep water are harder to keep than those who live in more shallow water conditions, so you can keep that in mind if you should decide to get one :)

Last edited:

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clownfish keep burrowing himself into the feather duster. Do I need to get an anemone for him? Will the anemone eat my other fish? what kind of anemone is the safest?
My Clowns are being hosted by a Mushroom....... and my powerhead :)
No need for an anemone if you don't want one.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering - is the feather duster retracting or mostly just putting up with it? My feather duster is so quick to retract that I’d be amazed if he ever hosted clowns.
I have a pair of Mocha Storms hosting in a patch of zoas. They literally don’t care where they are after they’ve picked a place to call home. Anemones are good, but one of the best purposes they serve in the wild is to protect the clowns from predators. They’re probably a lot safer in your tank than in the wild, so if you’re not ready for a nem yet, wait it out. If you are ready and want one, I agree to go for a Bubble Tip. You don’t have to get any crazy ones either... they’re all really pretty IMO and the clowns do not care if they’re living in a basic green bubble tip or a Colorado Sunburst with documented lineage. :)
Best of luck!!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have to have any anemone to feel good. The common anemones in the trade which are unsafe for clownfishes are the long tentacle anemones & the rock anemones. Generally your clown will keep other fish away from any 'nem that it hosts.
Sorry, you're saying that rock flower anemones are dangerous to clowns? Hadn't heard that. Why is that?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you're saying that rock flower anemones are dangerous to clowns? Hadn't heard that. Why is that?
Yeah I am wondering about this too.

@Birdbrains? Also, what do you mean by long tentacle anemones are unsafe for clownfish? They're the natural host for a bunch of clownfish species, and is a common host for even more species in the aquaria.

FlowGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentacle nems can host clowns

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tentacle nems can host clowns

I was not referring to the Macrodactyla Doreensis, I was talking about the Condylactis:)

I keep a macrodactyla and it is hosting Polymnus, but where I am from, the Macrodactylas are called "corkscrew" anemones, not "long tentacle" anemones.

The condylactis (being a long tentacle anemone in its own right), is still getting sold to unsuspecting hobbyists who are looking for anemones to host clownfish. That is why I mentioned it:)

Last edited:

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am wondering about this too.

@Birdbrains? Also, what do you mean by long tentacle anemones are unsafe for clownfish? They're the natural host for a bunch of clownfish species, and is a common host for even more species in the aquaria.

I was talking about the (long tentacle) Condylactis :)

Macrodactylas are called Corkscrews where I am from and Condylactis still gets sold to unsuspecting hobbyists under the name "long tentacle anemones". Corkscrews only curl up their tentacles into "corkscrew" shapes under strong currents and many LFS end up calling Macrodactylas for "long tentacle anemones" simply because the corkscrew anemones does not show the classic corkscrew tentacle shape in potential medium to low current conditions in many LFS's tanks.

My Polymnus loves my Macrodactyla Doreensis and they are indeed perfect host anemones. I was even encouraging OP to go for it, since they they are much more hardy then the deep water 'nems ;)

Last edited:

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 long ten nen's hosting 4 Clowns
IMG_20210516_223551_466.jpg

FlowGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not referring to the Macrodactyla Doreensis, I was talking about the Condylactis:)

I keep a macrodactyla and it is hosting Polymnus, but where I am from, the Macrodactylas are called "corkscrew" anemones, not "long tentacle" anemones.

The condylactis (being a long tentacle anemone in its own right), is still getting sold to unsuspecting hobbyists who are looking for anemones to host clownfish. That is why I mentioned it:)
Probably is best for new folks who have never kept anems to try bubble tips first in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be sold the wrong type of long tentacle and see my clown disappear

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the rock flower? I ask because I have 2 clowns and I’m getting 3 rock flowers next month

Personally I have never kept rock flowers, so I do not know the extent of their compatibility with aquarium fish first hand, and I do not think clowns are particularly attracted to rock flowers - but from what I have heard from others and read online, the rock flower anemones can potentially eat anything that touches them, which makes them live peacefully in tanks for years, only to randomly eat a fish that brushes up against it.
So I have the impression that it depends highly on how they are placed in the tank and if the fishes can move around the territory easily without getting into contact with the rock flowers. But do not take my word for it since I have no personal experience with the topic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back