Any ancient coral or fish we could have kept?

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were there any types of ancient coral/ fish we could have kept in our reef tanks today if we had a time machine?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, absolutely. But it's hard to know something's exact requirements, and small animals, as a general rule, don't tend to fossilize as well. So we know less about teeny little prey fish than we do about bigger predators.

I wouldn't say there were definitely things we could have put in reef tanks the way we keep them, but I'm sure someone with a time machine could set up a reef tank of prehistoric things. There were way too many species not to be at least a few candidates. I just don't know exactly what you could put in it.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Like Tired said, absolutely. We know of a couple of various fish or fish-adjacents that were definitely small enough to fit in the standard aquarium. For example, Haikouichthys was about an inch long, and lived during the Cambrian Explosion (mostly I remember it from BBC's Walking With Monsters). Here's a list of prehistoric fish.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back