Any Anesthesiologists/ medical field people on here??

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first challenge is getting into med school. During med school you will do rotations in every specialty field, you can’t pick and choose which ones. During every rotation you will have patients with infectious diseases. So unless you suffer from OCD level ickyness, you will be desensitized. Good luck!
ah! that makes sense. I will still carry around my big bottle of hand sanitizer though. lol. Thank you! :)

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want to be around sick people, I wouldnt recommend anesthesiology.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh really?! I would think they wouldn't be sick because you cant be sick when having surgery

Some of the sickest patients require surgery emergently. You are just speaking of elective surgery but you will still have patients who are sick but require medical clearance. Now once you become an anesthesiologist, you can elect to work in ambulatory centers where healthier patients have surgery but you still need to go through residency where you will see very sick patients.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the sickest patients require surgery emergently. You are just speaking of elective surgery but you will still have patients who are sick but require medical clearance. Now once you become an anesthesiologist, you can elect to work in ambulatory centers where healthier patients have surgery but you still need to go through residency where you will see very sick patients.
ahhh that makes sense now. thanks!

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact. If you count all of the cells on and in your body, there are more germs than human cells.

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went from being an army ranger mortar man to an army physician assistant and I’m very happy with the switch

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I personally like the emergency room the best from all my rotations. I have others in line but must say the hours fly by in the er.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I personally like the emergency room the best from all my rotations. I have others in line but must say the hours fly by in the er.

Cool! I would think that would be an entertaining job. you probably see lots of different things! Thanks!

Went from being an army ranger mortar man to an army physician assistant and I’m very happy with the switch

nice! that sounds like an interesting job!

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an ICU nurse (burn trauma) at a level 1 trauma center/teaching hospital. So, I see a fair amount of residents. I think it’s worth mentioning that regardless of your specialty, as a med student and resident, you will go through services that deal with “sick people”. So, while you can end up in one of the great services that many people have mentioned, be prepared to get yourself there going through what you want to avoid. Can’t go wrong with medicine. Endless opportunities, great job prospects, challenging and satisfying work. Try shadowing people before committing if possible.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an ICU nurse (burn trauma) at a level 1 trauma center/teaching hospital. So, I see a fair amount of residents. I think it’s worth mentioning that regardless of your specialty, as a med student and resident, you will go through services that deal with “sick people”. So, while you can end up in one of the great services that many people have mentioned, be prepared to get yourself there going through what you want to avoid. Can’t go wrong with medicine. Endless opportunities, great job prospects, challenging and satisfying work. Try shadowing people before committing if possible.

thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know... indirect fire can be rewarding to walk in. Giving out 800mg ibuprofen and crutches for the flu at sick call seems kind of blah in comparison.

*I kid. I kid.

Back