Any Bare-bottom Regrets?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever forgone sand in a system in favor of going bare-bottom but turned out to regret your decision? If so, then can you elaborate on why you regretted your decision to go bare-bottom?

I love the look of sand, but I love the ease of siphoning out detritus during water-changes. I’m kind of stuck and don’t know if I want to add sand to my system before I start cycling it.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went bare bottom on my lps tank. Just did not take. Only grew algae on the bottom. Still not easy for me to clean due to all the corals. I then went to a false bottom (made from marco 400) and was okay for a while. I just took that out and now just have a dusting of sand. I play a lot with my 40g tank. My main system will always have sand. Just prefer the look and the animals in it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine. Glad I did it. Only a month in, but no regrets at all.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one: My wife doesn’t like it “without any sand.”
Otherwise, doesn’t everyone appreciate a bare bottom?

But seriously, first it grows diatoms, then nasty algae, and finally it gets red and crusty with coralline. That crust keeps the corals from blowing in the current and eventually the coral will grow onto the bottom directly.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals yet, but I can not foresee anything I would regret with them. Most bottom placed ones will be glued to small pieces of shelf rock. The bottom of my tank is black King Starboard.

My only concern was the aquascape rocks would slide around and not be secure, but they are in place and sturdy with no epoxy, glue or rods.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years into my bare bottom system after coming from sandy bottoms for years. the ONLY regret I have is being able to get a wrasse that sleeps in the sand. thats it. other minor issues is being able to have a fungia plate. those can slide around LOL.

the floor of my tank has gone thru several changes over the years. it has grown coralline. that has died. it has remained clean, and been dirty with some algae film however this is MINIMAL. Currently a large portion of the front is covered with zoas. I like that i have a corner of the tank that when I do water changes, i can suck out the detritus pile. I dont believe I will ever go back to a sandy bed. ever. my next tank may however have starboard for that sandy color but im pleased.

August 2014 when the tank was setup:
2014-09-14 13.32.16.jpg

Current status as of this weekend.
IMG_20180726_174148.jpg

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from sand to BB and now back to sand.
BB looks nice at first when it is still clean. After a few months, it does not look as nice with thick coraline and calcium precipitate that looks like sparse amount of sand spread randomly, it becomes no easier, if not, actually harder to clean than just sand, and eventually gave up and then tank just became uglier.
The previous post mentions there were several changes over the years, so just looking at the before and after picture is a little out of context, as it will never look like the after picture after 4 years without major change.
you can have same problem, like algae, with or without sand.
I would not go back to BB.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife cries when I set up a BB tank. The first thing every single guest asks is where is the sand. No more crying or sand questions anymore because I always sport a layer of Tropic Eden these days.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous post mentions there were several changes over the years, so just looking at the before and after picture is a little out of context, as it will never look like the after picture after 4 years without major change.
you can have same problem, like algae, with or without sand.
I would not go back to BB.

My build thread is linked in my signature. Go check it out. Lots of fts and it is very consistent over the years.

DharkaronReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to point out the obvious but BB looks good on Frag tanks. Display tanks should have sand. I also debated to have BB on my new 57gal build but i ended up with 1" of sand. Never regret that decision!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a natural look, therefore sand in all of my tanks. I agree BB is probably easier to maintain, but if I am going to spend the time and money on my tank, I want to enjoy how it looks :) That being said, I have seen some nice BB tanks but they were extremely mature, with coral pretty much covering the entire bottom either by large colonies or encusting. I don't have the patience to wait that long though.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been BB for about 2 years and not looking back, although, I would love a wrasse but its the price I paid. Painted the bottom of the tank white and even managed to change the minds of a few non-bb believers. Mine stayed clean for whatever reason, coralline grew on the back and sides but doesn't on the bottom.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom all the way. Just don’t need the hassle. I see some great tanks with sand/gravel but I have never been able to keep it looking nice. My tank scape is meant to please me and me alone. I am good with it. Just fish and corals. My little shrimp and watchman goby do just fine pushing snail shells and small rocks around.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're going to get two major opinions. Either BB cuz its cleaner or sand cuz it looks better (subjective opinion).

That said, my tank is like a piece of decorative furniture in my house to me. If it doesn't look good, it kinda defeats the purpose. IMO without sand it just doesn't look good. It looks almost like a glass box with a pile of rocks in it, almost too clean and scientific. That said, I completely understand the utility and respect that not everyone agrees with me.

EDIT: To be clear, I know I didn't answer your question... Lol. Sry.

Didn't and don't plan on going BB.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only regret would be limiting wrasse options. Sure people inquire why there is no sand, but the reality is in many reefs its all rock and no sand.

I went bare bottom on my lps tank. Just did not take. Only grew algae on the bottom. Still not easy for me to clean due to all the corals. I then went to a false bottom (made from marco 400) and was okay for a while. I just took that out and now just have a dusting of sand. I play a lot with my 40g tank. My main system will always have sand. Just prefer the look and the animals in it.

Do you have any pictures of the false bottom? Sounds interesting!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only regret would be limiting wrasse options. Sure people inquire why there is no sand, but the reality is in many reefs its all rock and no sand.

Do you have any pictures of the false bottom? Sounds interesting!
Came here to say this also. I love wrasse and not having sand for them to sleep in wasn't worth the hassle of bare bottom (if algae was growing on it). I do really like the look when reefers allow their encrusting corals to take over the bottom glass though!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back