Any body have info on fluval marine and reef 2.0 led

dee1914

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue wont bleach out anything this was the only way I could set it with out issues. U can change what percentage work best for u

Ryan_g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading it wrong. I was thinking the blue was only on for 15 minutes, but that was the sunrise time. I just programmed my to your schedule but everything is 2 hours later. I'm also doing a moon effect at 1%. Just so it can always be viewed some. I'll keep you posted how it goes, I only have the one big light though need another.

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to attempt to revive this old post again. Any updates? I'd love to see/hear how its going. I've had my lights for 2 weeks now. I have a 54g corner tank and I switched from two Current USA Marine Orbits (18" and 24") to two of the 24" Fluval 2.0. I'm currently ramping the lights up every couple days trying to find my sweet spot or get to 100%. I've keep softies, LPS, and SPS. All were doing great under the Orbits as far as growth but I wasn't getting much coloration aside from green.

My initial opinions on the lights:
Pros - I can definitely tell these lights are stronger than my last lights and even though its early, I see evidence of the more complete spectrum in coloration of my corals.
The lights feel sturdy and well constructed. The legs that rest on the tank are plastic/rubber (Current USA uses metal and it rusts)
Cons - Not a fan of the button control on the lights.
Wifi adapter works OK but you have to be close to the tank, turn off cellular data, connect to the lights through wifi (it emits its own "network") then you can open the app.
The app gets the job done but is unimpressive otherwise. A lot of potential for improvement with the app (pre-set modes, more freedom to create personalized modes)
White seems to overpower the blue in the daytime. I will probably run blue 5-10% stronger than white during the day.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the 36 inch on my 65 gal and it works great for me. I do not yet have the WiFi mod but am lookin forward to getting one and a 2nd fixture in the next couple months . Only complaint I have is the need for the module to program any real settings into to it .. you can dim it and change from all leds to blues only but that’s it . With the WiFi you have far more control. I can’t wait to be abl to set sunset sunrise and moonlight settings like those that have 600 dollar fixtures. For half the cost .. as far as coral health mine are doing great. I have lps and a half dozen shrooms. I seriously believe it would keep sps just fine especially if I had two of them in my65 I don’t think I’d even be able to run them at 100% if I had 2 .. we will see when tax time rolls around and I pick up my 2nd fixture and the WiFi mod. I have confidence that I will be able to bring in some sps with zero issues at that point

bsfmaximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely happy I have the wifi module and recommend it. I am used to the programming from my Marine Orbits so if I had to do it manually I'd probably not be as thrilled. I am curious to see what happens over the coming weeks with my coral, especially my SPS. So far, I haven't seen a lot of change aside from night time acintics making colors pop more than my old lights. Hoping my coral make a happy transition and gain new color. I will venture to say you can almost certainly keep SPS with the light. I successfully grew SPS with my old lights and if the specs are accurate then these have my old lights beaten in power and spectrum. I look forward to any updated pictures and will post myself if I notice any changes.

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ordering this light now. I'm still in the start-up cycle of my first reef, but this seemed like the perfect option for me. I will order the WiFi unit later after I see if the light meets my needs. Programming schedules on it is a real plus, and sounds like you can only do that with the WiFI unit. My tank dimensions are 30" wide, 24" high, 15" bowfront, the 24" light unit with expandable clips seems like it will be a good fit.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 36 on my 65 gal and am pleased with it I’ll be buying another and the WiFi mod. And yes schedule can only be done with the WiFi . I have mine on a simple timer for now. The WiFi mod works with up to two units so it’ll be nice to be able to control them both from one connection .

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have two 36 inch and a t5ho two bulb both actnitic. Ordering WiFi this week

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Wifi unit came in today, I'll hook it up when I get home. I just watched a video on how to program it. So moonlight stays on all night until next morning? Can it be programmed to turn completely off in the middle of the night before sunrise?

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think moon light stays on. But you could ramp it down to near off ??

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still waiting to order mine. Auto repair got in the way of luxury items this month. Transmission mount motor mount and front brakes... so maybe next month...

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my programming and testing, it’s not that straight forward but basically you set channel 2 (blue light) to its own schedule. So I have white light sunset from7-7:30 but blue light Channel “sunset” 7-11:55pm so by 730 it’s all blue and continuing to dim, then all off at 12 am. Nice features, I think it gets bad reviews from not knowing how to use it

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took down the 2.0's for a RapidLED Corona unit. My two negatives with these lights is that switch sucks. All the negative reviews about the switch are true. That being said, I wouldn't run these without the wifi anyway, so that sort of makes the poor switch design moot.
My second negative is the disproportion of white LEDs. while this will certainly grow corals, reef leds have been moving away from white leds (you can create white simply by blending RGBs) using more blue/purple leds with red and green mixed in which results in better sps coral coloration.

not bad lights, just that they have limitations.

I will likely be selling my 24" 2.0 and wifi and giving away my 1.0 m24" unit with the timer control. The 1.0 moonlight switch only turns on about 5 blues, all leds turn on when switched to daylight.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea some people are very brand loyal. Brand x is most expensive so it has to be the best and I bought it so it’s the best and the only good light or product out there. I’m not into spending extra just to tell everyone I have the best most expensive thing.
I personally think people don’t like the fluval lights because they are fluval lights. And petco sells them. So they must be junk.. I saw nothing but bad reviews on the button and I have yet to have any issue with mine.

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, mine is set up now to be full white and full blue during the day. I just want to make sure I get full PAR for future coral. Is that an unnatural combination?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, mine is set up now to be full white and full blue during the day. I just want to make sure I get full PAR for future coral. Is that an unnatural combination?

That's what I ran mine at midday. I ramped up in the morning and then down in the after noon then left the blues on for evening viewing before ramping down for nighttime moonlights.

fluval published these par numbers for the 2.0

3" 376
6" 222
12" 90
18" 47

there was another thread explaining that the is no such thing as white leds, they are actaully blue leds with a substance that creates white. but the spectrum they published with white leds was much different than what fluval published. fluval's published spectrum in in line with spectrums you see for the high end reef leds. I presume that is because of running the blue leds along with the white made for a better reef spectrum.

LEDs permit us to customize the spectrums and intensity, but that leaves for a lot of user error and trail and error. Fluval takes that out of the equation with simplifying the blending to just white v blue intensity

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, what happens to this light’s internal time and schedule settings if it is unplugged (or power outage)?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back