Any Cade owners who have changed out the sump?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a couple of months out from a tank upgrade and am settling on the Cade 1500 peninsula.

I’d like more wiggle room inside the stand (for a skimmate locker, acrylic basin with a spill/leak sensor and redundancy) and am wondering if any Cade owners have opted to swap out the standard sump for something a bit smaller, just not a fan that the sump seems to take up all the provided floor space. I know it can be done, but would love to see some implementations.

Also, is the partition element / barrier between the sump and chiller area removable?

Appreciate it!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd keep the stock Cade sump. You have access through the sides on Cade stands and I've seen some very creative electronic and dosing solutions mounted through these. I don't think the barrier is removable but you can run wiring (etc.) through it and use the chiller area for equipment.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s definitely an option to keep it, and it will save me a good $500.

I have no need for a chiller, but would want to utilize the extra space for my ATO reservoir (15 gallon IM model).

My biggest concern is having some ”insurance” against flooding in worst case scenarios like the skimmer going crazy. My skimmate locker is very DIY (but it might also be time to upgrade to one with a float switch). Though I guess I could install the tub/basin in the secondary compartment to catch potential spill from the locker.

I also wanted to explore the possibility of simplifying the plumbing to allow for a roller and to optimize the return line (too many 90 degree turns for my taste). Figuring out flow in a peninsula is going to be challenge and want to have wiggle room to tune the return line to supplement the powerheads.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without seeing your skimmer I couldn't offer an opinion. But you could look at a drip tray and leak sensor to forewarn you. I'm wouldn't be overly concerned about plumbing; you van always opt for a larger pump to compensate.

I've seen a few peninsula tanks where they mastered the flow with MP40/60s on one side only.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a similar project, i am planning to utilize the full cabinet space in my Cade 1200 with a larger sump. Did you end up going ahead with removal of the divider between the sump and cabinet? :) From what I can gather, it serves no structural value!

Here's what I am looking at doing. A Triton-style sump and custom plumbing including a manifold with reactors 'hanging' from underneath the glass over the refugium.

Cade sump.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back