Any clue what this fuzzy on my rocks are?

OP
OP
Jennydinh143

Jennydinh143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails eat those pretty fast IIRC. But I could be wrong, it has been a while since I see them in my system. But I think you can use some more trochus. What's your tank size? Probably 10 more trochus/astrea to start, more if your tank is bigger.
20 gallon! I had 4 but two died and i didnt notice for a while because they were stuck in the rubble. Ill deff get more!

OP
OP
Jennydinh143

Jennydinh143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen similar in mine years ago and left it .

what’s the reason for adding pods and phyto ?

do you have picky eaters or is it a fairly new system ?
Im planning to get a mandarin down the line so i thought ill start populating them early!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely a bacteria bloom of good nutrifying bacteria. A natural occurrence of a new tank.

Well documented under the term "the uglies"

Search R2R to read more about the uglies

Tread lightly bc if you get into major swings dosing stuff, you'll wipeout your tank.

*STOP!
*Dont dose anything
*Feed fish very lightly while doing 10% waterchanges a week and in 4-6 weeks the bloom will be gone.

***Once you get thru the uglies, the other side of it is a greatly balanced tank with maturing biochemistry!

However, If you short term panic and start swinging the tank with nutrients and dosing suggestions.... you'll be in worst shape ever

Patience, and wait for the uglies to subside thru light feedings and WCs

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I remember very early In reefing ,
Do not dose anything you can’t test the need for .
As for pods once they’re introduced and nothing is consuming them , they will multiply rapidly ( which is good )
Dosing green water ( phyto ) essentially is only food but can also be waste down the road .
I’d slow down adding anything and let it mature naturally

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chemi pure in my filter sock, but thats all.
Incomplete answer-chemipure ELITE, chemipure BLUE. They have something different in each one.
Example: I have Dinos and all I use in my filter is chemipure elite that I change every week. I feed every other day very little.
Answer: chemipure elite has GFO in it which stripped out all your phosphate which gave you Dinos.

But I agree with the others that said bacteria growth.

OP
OP
Jennydinh143

Jennydinh143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incomplete answer-chemipure ELITE, chemipure BLUE. They have something different in each one.
Example: I have Dinos and all I use in my filter is chemipure elite that I change every week. I feed every other day very little.
Answer: chemipure elite has GFO in it which stripped out all your phosphate which gave you Dinos.

But I agree with the others that said bacteria growth.
Its chemi pure blue!

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning to get a mandarin down the line so i thought ill start populating them early!
If it was me I'd get a captive bred one from Biota shipped right from them to you. It may cost more but they already eat pellets and other foods as well as most likely come with no diseases. I have a Biota Coral Beauty and she was worth ever penny I paid for her.

their overnight shipping is only $20.00

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back