Any clue?

Zamreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When green hair algee dies off does it look like black stringy spider webs????

I've been having trouble with my aquarium ever since I got it back from a friend.....

It was covered in green hair algee all over the rocks the walls and the sand...

However I do feel whatever is going on is my doing.. when I got it back I added all new water and new live sand.... What I did wrong (I believe) is I didn't get rid of all the old sand before adding new live sand.. ever since that it seems I've just had problems... The water spikes one day and is cloudy for days and will be mostly clear some days (I think that has part to a starfish trying to heal from a massive wound) but my main concern is the sand..... It went from white to a brown to now has this black stringy spider web looking stuff. Not all the sand but in a few patches.

I am a noob mostly and would love any kind of feed back.. thank you for your time.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An image would really help to ID the offender and offer assistance. :)

OP
OP
Zamreefman

Zamreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another noob problem... I can't figure out how to post the pic... I've tried and tried... Sorry Im going to try and add it to YouTube and then add it to here. I read that somewhere the other day.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks can answer this. He is the algae master.
I guess I have a thing for alges.;)
An image would really help to ID the offender and offer assistance. :)
Yup +1
Thank you..... So another noob question, how do I get ahold of @saltyfilmfolks?
Tag him like you did
Another noob problem... I can't figure out how to post the pic... I've tried and tried... Sorry Im going to try and add it to YouTube and then add it to here. I read that somewhere the other day.
Yup. have it embed the pic or video.

Yea sometimes, but not usually.
I didn't get rid of all the old sand before adding new live sand..
Possibly yes....
The water spikes one day and is cloudy for days and will be mostly clear some days (I think that has part to a starfish trying to heal from a massive wound) but my main concern is the sand..... It went from white to a brown to now has this black stringy spider web looking stuff. Not all the sand but in a few patches.
Def test your ammoina, you might want to test the rest of the parameters , No3 po4 and in this case nitrites to see if you may have caused a mini cycle, (sudden ammoina spike) and stirred up other funky stuff.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been having trouble with my aquarium ever since I got it back from a friend.....

It was covered in green hair algee all over the rocks the walls and the sand...

However I do feel whatever is going on is my doing.. when I got it back I added all new water and new live sand.... What I did wrong (I believe) is I didn't get rid of all the old sand before adding new live sand.. ever since that it seems I've just had problems... The water spikes one day and is cloudy for days and will be mostly clear some days (I think that has part to a starfish trying to heal from a massive wound) but my main concern is the sand..... It went from white to a brown to now has this black stringy spider web looking stuff. Not all the sand but in a few patches.

I am a noob mostly and would love any kind of feed back.. thank you for your time.
How much flow do you have in your tank? It is most common for black decaying matter to occur in low flow areas where it can't wash away early in the break down process. Low flow over a deep sandbed can also cause issues if not maintained properly.

OP
OP
Zamreefman

Zamreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha k you all very much.. I will try and get this video clip uploaded soon

OP
OP
Zamreefman

Zamreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a longer video I can try to add but this was taken from my phone.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly did you move that tank and when?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possibly cyano? I have red slime at the moment so I can campare closely[emoji6]
d341961fc3ebbc66bc6f1a4cb1ef20dc.jpg

OP
OP
Zamreefman

Zamreefman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly did you move that tank and when?

We drained about 75% water out. Left in as much water and what little rock and sand it did have in it. As well as the fish.
Than we moved it in the back of his truck in buckets. When we got to my house we added the remaining water (with some spillage) brought it just under half. Added new fresh water. Added the sand a couple days later.
I added the new sand on top of the old sand. I did mix it up a few times... Than it grew thru the cycle I had men

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back