Any cool/unique invertebrate or critters for a 10 gallon reef? Flaming scallop in a 10 gallon reef tank?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have a 10 gallon lps reef tank and I am looking to add something new and unique into it. I love having different things in my tanks just to change it up. I have always wanted a flame scallop since I first saw them in the lfs. Would the scallop do well in a 10 gallon reef tank? If so, how hard would it be to keep one of them? Any other unique things I can add?

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have a 10 gallon lps reef tank and I am looking to add something new and unique into it. I love having different things in my tanks just to change it up. I have always wanted a flame scallop since I first saw them in the lfs. Would the scallop do well in a 10 gallon reef tank? If so, how hard would it be to keep one of them? Any other unique things I can add?
They need to be fed because they are non-photosynthetic. If you can make this provision, they are actually fairly hardly animals.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flame scallops are notoriously difficult to keep alive long term, even in the largest aquaria. In a 10g, the amount of food required to keep it alive would foul your water very fast. Something like an arrow crab would be a fun addition, or maybe a banded shrimp if you're willing to try.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on their size, you will want to target feed 1- twice a day with about 1 ml of phytoplankton, or something like phyto-feast made by Reef Nutrition. They are filter feeders like Diamond Gobies. Depending on your substrate, you might also look into various types of sea cucumbers. Some of them are quite wild looking. I have a crushed coral substrate mostly, so they wouldn't do well for me just yet. I'm planning to upgrade to a bigger tank soon, and am planning to have a plain sand bed there so I can add some other creatures that wouldn't quite do as well with what I have now.

Drummingbaker2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some might say it's for corals, but according to Reef Nutrition, reef roids are a good food source for clams, and I had one individual on here tell me his scallop loves them.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in your tank already? Do you have a skimmer? I would highly advise against a flame scallop -- they are notoriously difficult to keep.

Feather dusters and porcelain crabs are also filter feeders but very hardy and easy to feed and keep long-term.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flaming scallops, in general, just don’t do well in home aquariums, especially in nanos. One of the species that should just be left in the ocean.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame scallop don't have a long livespan to begin with, unlike tridacna clams and many other inverts.

Also, I don't think target feeding is the best way to keep them. They are perfectly capable of trapping nanoplanktons from surrounding water (if you provide them with such)

Directly deposit reef roid etc won't guarantee the scallop actually trap and ingest the food.

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some sexy shrimp and some rock flowers and mini maxi that they like. Cool additions.
Ok cool, what light do you keep you rock flowers under? I have a kessil a80 and just worried if i put them in on the sand they will climb up the rock where my coral is and sting them if they dont have enough light

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back