Any damsel fish veterans please

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a yellow star damselfish for a year now, it doesn’t seem to have grown but it’s now digging holes and has a nest under a rock. It was one of my first ever fish but if it’ll become aggressive I would like to know. I thought it had matured and was docile but not sure now.... I have fish like dart fish which would be torn apart by a stereotypical damselfish!?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be semi-aggressive and territorial. I have a yellowtail damsel that has not back down from fish 1.5 times it's size in my system. Majority of it's tankmates are decently larger, so everyone gets along. There is the rare "chase off" when too close to it's hangout, but only for the ones closer to it's size.

Keeping that in mind, it is also possible to have a fish not exhibit the standard bahavioral characterisics provided as a general guideline for species, so you could have a model citizen, but the likelyhood is slim in my opinion for damselfish.

I have a zebra bar and a scissortail dartfish in my DT as tankmates, but there is enough space their territories are not on top of each other. The larger the DT, the more space everyone has, which equates to less aggression in my system.

Plus, my fish are fat and happy and less likely to swim around "Hangry." :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish rookie 07

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be semi-aggressive and territorial. I have a yellowtail damsel that has not back down from fish 1.5 times it's size in my system. Majority of it's tankmates are decently larger, so everyone gets along. There is the rare "chase off" when too close to it's hangout, but only for the ones closer to it's size.

Keeping that in mind, it is also possible to have a fish not exhibit the standard bahavioral characterisics provided as a general guideline for species, so you could have a model citizen, but the likelyhood is slim in my opinion for damselfish.

I have a zebra bar and a scissortail dartfish in my DT as tankmates, but there is enough space their territories are not on top of each other. The larger the DT, the more space everyone has, which equates to less aggression in my system.

Plus, my fish are fat and happy and less likely to swim around "Hangry." :)
Ok I’ll wait and see then!

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yt pair don’t bother anything. The other fish meet aggression level and put them in place. It seems to me the more limited space the more aggression you will see

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish rookie 07

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yt pair don’t bother anything. The other fish meet aggression level and put them in place. It seems to me the more limited space the more aggression you will see
Two clownfish and a dart fish in a 65 gal should be okay then I recon

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back