Any Die Hard T5 users left? Tissue Necrosis was less common with T5 and even Halides; unless I am losing my mind!

A Reef Insanity (ARI)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity I have to carefully ask if anyone believes Tissue Necrosis may be more common the past several years because of more usage of LED's? After all; this is a coral bleaching topic. I am in love with LED only tanks; but as someone targeting fast growth and coloration (because I sell) I swear by T5's and most my ATI's have Reefbrites XHO actinics strapped to them with the ramp up/down feature from using Apex and dimming ballasts. The looks of LED is mind blowing but I have been cautious personally about dedicating even just 1 of my 8 tanks to LED solely. I can't bring myself to do it. Personally in my opinion I believe Tissue Necrosis / coral bleaching is partially if not fully caused by LED's more than we know. I said I cautiously post this because I respect and love the looks of LED's and understand ALOT / most people have invested ALOT on these fixtures.... but I may be onto something.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel the hot spots created by some LEDs can contribute to tissue necrosis, but I don’t think it is the only factor. Also I don’t feel the spectrum of some LEDs is completely uniform. I will say adding T5s to my lighting definitely improved my zoas, they were the only ones not really thriving.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought, but I remember when I started the hobby with T5 and halides and I killed a lot of coral.... I suspect it has to due more with tank age and the experience level of the person.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back