Any entomologists? help me figure out what was in my bed!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So uhhh....I'm used to a small bug population in my room due to it being summer and the house's doors not being fully covered. But this is the first time I've been bitten/stung in bed. And I just crushed the bug so I can't take a picture and send to ask for ID. I've also checked online to see what bugs are in Arkansas, and nothing so far that makes a match, but that doesn't mean it's not a larvae of some sort. So...entomologists help me out please!

The bug was no more than a half inch in length. Fairly certain it was an insect, given that it had six legs. It had....jaws. Or antennae that looked like jaws. Said jaws had teeth. Color was not outstanding, somewhere in the tan/brown range, and I think it had horizontal stripes. Oh, and it looked like it had a stinger on its abdomen. Said abdomen also had ruffles I think. It did not have wings. The body was not "fuzzy". The bite/sting itself was comparable to a small electric shock.

At first I thought it was a dobsonfly larva that had come out from the amano shrimp bucket in vengeance for what I had done 3 months ago, but it didn't have nearly the same number of segments. Then I was worried it was a bed bug. But it wasn't. I also thought it might be a termite (which would be absolutely terrifying), but the head didn't match any of the phases, although the striping on the body was similar.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic would be helpful.

...I've been waiting patiently for the day that I could use this method of replying, and it gives me a ridiculously large amount of joy to quote myself...

And I just crushed the bug so I can't take a picture and send to ask for ID.

I'd love to send a picture. But the bug got crushed like I said in the original post.

Last edited:

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is it doesn't sound like a bed bug as they don't have stings, plus when you squash one it would stain the bed with blood (your blood) and they have a distinctive musty/metal smell.

Did it have a distinct thorax (narrow 'waist'?)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One possibility is a carpebter ant. They don't have a singer but thier bite feels like they do. They spray the bite with formic acid.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So uhhh....I'm used to a small bug population in my room due to it being summer and the house's doors not being fully covered. But this is the first time I've been bitten/stung in bed. And I just crushed the bug so I can't take a picture and send to ask for ID. I've also checked online to see what bugs are in Arkansas, and nothing so far that makes a match, but that doesn't mean it's not a larvae of some sort. So...entomologists help me out please!

The bug was no more than a half inch in length. Fairly certain it was an insect, given that it had six legs. It had....jaws. Or antennae that looked like jaws. Said jaws had teeth. Color was not outstanding, somewhere in the tan/brown range, and I think it had horizontal stripes. Oh, and it looked like it had a stinger on its abdomen. Said abdomen also had ruffles I think. It did not have wings. The body was not "fuzzy". The bite/sting itself was comparable to a small electric shock.

At first I thought it was a dobsonfly larva that had come out from the amano shrimp bucket in vengeance for what I had done 3 months ago, but it didn't have nearly the same number of segments. Then I was worried it was a bed bug. But it wasn't. I also thought it might be a termite (which would be absolutely terrifying), but the head didn't match any of the phases, although the striping on the body was similar.
Pic of squished bug would help

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue but it was a stripped scorpion. They get no longer then 2 in pinchers and it feels like a terrible bee sting and a tarnish color. They apparently love your sheets and will sting if you roll on them.

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thorax wasn't exactly large, but it seemed to have one, maybe? It's been two sleep cycles since, so my memory is foggy.

It looked kind of like an earwig, but there was only one thin spike coming out of the abdomen (about as thin as a strand of hair), and the "jaws" definitely didn't look like antennae.

I'm 90% certain it wasn't an ant of any kind. Definitely not a carpenter ant.

Also fairly positive it wasn't a kissing bug. Those things freaked me out as a kid (they'd always get on screens, like screen doors, or the neighbors trampoline...).

And definitely not a scorpion. I think Arkansas gets too humid for them or something...

I'll go dig through the trash and see what I can find, hopefully it's still crushed and not wandering through the bin....

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does not look like an earwig. Did you bring any pond water or lake water close to the house. Almost looks like a nymph of some kind.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back