Any experience with icecap k1 100 or 50 skimmers?

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a good skimmer for Redsea 170 and don't want to get skimmers rated for (heavy) 80 gallon rating.

I saw some icecap k1 50 and k1 100 skimmers which fall into the 40 gallon heavy load rating.
anyone has experience with these?

I read some mixed reviews on amazon and other sites.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cousin, the K2-160. On a lightly stocked 110G tank ~ 125g system also using an ATS, the skimmer isn't loaded enough. I intend to get a lot more livestock, just hasn't been in the cards this year. I have to run the skimmer on a timer to get more consistent performance. But I can run it pretty dry and get really dark skimmate, or wetter if I want to pull out some particulate or do a water change. Cleaning the neck is easy. Adjustments are easy, but I don't fiddle with it much. I do not have anything to compare it with, its really my first decent skimmer.
I think the K1 version body is made in china vs K2 made in US, and the K2 version uses a sicce skimmer pump, the k1uses a different pump. I don't see much else that's different.
I like mine.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used both a K2-50 and now a K1-50 in my Biocube 32. Its an extremely tight fit and based upon where the pump intake is situated it is pretty close to the glass restricting max water flow unto the pump.

That said its the best Nano skimmer Ive found for that tank and I run it knowing Ill need a new pump for it every couple of years due to the tight quarters.

Down side might be cup size on the K1-50. You may need to empty twice a week. The 100 probably a better bet in that regard.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you're still interested but I have a k1-100 and hate it.. when I feed the tank it overflows. The slightest of changes makes it overflow and spits out big time

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm a novice when it comes to tuning skimmers so seeking some advice

I just got my K1-50 skimmer and set it up in my 32G AIO. I found the the silencer is pretty loud(constant whooshing sound like blowing air into an empty water bottle). That being said all my other equipment is super quiet. Before adding this skimmer the loudest piece of equipment is the Kessil light's fan, so maybe I'm overreacting to the noise.

Is there any way to tune down the sound? I've read reviews that this skimmer is supposed to be super quiet, I wonder if I didn't set it up properly? Does it become quiet after breaking in?

If I put my finger over silencer tube to PARTIALLY cover it, less air gets in and it becomes quieter. I'm thinking of adding a valve onto the silencer to adjust the air/water ratio. Does this skimmer already come with a way to adjust this(it didn't come with a manual), is the DC air pump/venturi that comes with it adjustable?

thanks!

Last edited:

strandedviper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm a novice when it comes to tuning skimmers so seeking some advice

I just got my K1-50 skimmer and set it up in my 32G AIO. I found the the silencer is pretty loud(constant whooshing sound like blowing air into an empty water bottle). That being said all my other equipment is super quiet. Before adding this skimmer the loudest piece of equipment is the Kessil light's fan, so maybe I'm overreacting to the noise.

Is there any way to tune down the sound? I've read reviews that this skimmer is supposed to be super quiet, I wonder if I didn't set it up properly? Does it become quiet after breaking in?

If I put my finger over silencer tube to PARTIALLY cover it, less air gets in and it becomes quieter. I'm thinking of adding a valve onto the silencer to adjust the air/water ratio. Does this skimmer already come with a way to adjust this(it didn't come with a manual), is the DC air pump/venturi that comes with it adjustable?

thanks!
I just got my K1-150 tonight. I have the exact same issue, as well as not getting a manual. From what I have researched, it takes time for it to quiet down. I have mine set at 40 in a 10g sump for my 40g reef. Let me know if yours improves

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Weird. my k100 is stealth quiet. I would make sure the pump is flush in it's housing. If you hear a weezing sound that's definitely the pump not sitting properly.

Back