Any fellow Felix Smart users care to share their thoughts or experiences? Here is my experience with it so far.

bradyrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon fellow reef enthusiast.
I purchased a Felix Smart reef monitoring system and wanted to share my experiences with the system and was hoping other owners would share their experiences as well.
The lack of information on the internet is discouraging but I think this is because they need someone in marketing and more how to videos explaining aftermarket device additions.
I have reached out to one of the folks they sponsor on Youtube "Reefstache" explaining what type of videos and instructions would be nice to see but i never received a reply.
I also created a subreddit on reddit today hoping fellow owners would join the sub and contribute.
I have had their system for about 3 months and so far knock on wood it seems to be pretty solid.

Purchase Experience and customer support:
I purchased the system for my wife at Christmas this year and one of the probe adapters that go from USB to SMA snapped off when putting in the cable.
I think the solder joint was just faulty.
I contacted them and after a few days they replied, asked for some pictures, and immediately sent a free replacement.
I also reached out to them to ask how to change the password for the seneye account (This is integrated into their app) and they said all of the information is in the app. Unfortunately this isn't true, you need the account password they automatically setup to change the password. It asks you for the existing password and this is unknown to the user.
The reason I wanted this was to use the Seneye application directly plugged into a laptop to get a visual of the light readings vs the spectrum. Seneye has some advanced views in their app to view detailed information with the light spectrum. There are several youtube videos that show this.
No valid answer to that request.

Accuracy of the probes:
So there are 2 probes and the Seneye available as addons.

The Temperature seems to be within a degree.

The PH warning light is constantly on the Seneye regardless of you "setting the trim" (Adjustment) in the Felix. So when you go into the Felix the PH will show the correct value but the light will stay on. I have a support request open regarding this. Apparently this is something you can adjust in the Seneye App but without the account info I cant run the app :(

ORP seems to be good but I have no way of comparing that against another meter yet.

NH3 we have had this verified by our local reef shop and its spot on.

Salinity seems to be close with a refractometer

PAR seems to be close to results I have seen on some video comparisons of the lights we use but I dont have another meter to test against.

The IFTTT:
This is basically the "If this happens then do this". Example, PH reaches above 8.5 turn off the Dosing pump.
This seems to be working well. This is my next topic

The APP:
The app and controls are aesthetically pleasing and work without issues. Everything is pretty responsive.

Compatibility:
When you find out you let me know. There is zilch on the internet.
When you go to add a device there are quite a few devices added in the app you can pick from, but the information on what is controllable and to what degree aren't anywhere I can find.

Documentation:
As a technical person, this really bothers me. The only thing you will find are some short YouTube videos that go over the initial setup and calibration function of the probes.

Summary: If you are looking for a reef monitoring system and want to just use the monitoring probes they offer and turning equipment on and off I think it works pretty well.
The probes they use are from Atlas Scientific which are huge in the lab monitoring business.
If you want to get into a lot of automation I think the system is very capable but you are probably going to have to reach out to the company with a million questions because the documentation or integration examples just isn't there. Its a shame because I think this system is very capable of giving Apex a serious run for the money.
If you have one feel free to stop by the reddit sub FelixSmart and talk about your experiences.

OP
OP
B

bradyrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think the product is pretty solid and if they do in fact support other devices to integrate and can create some how to's I think the advantage will be people will be able to use other products with better ratings. A lot of Neptune's products aren't rated the best so Im hoping with integration their popularity will grow. But your right. The documentation is important.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very intrigued by this controller but the lack of documentation, reviews, videos, etc has kept me from pulling the trigger.

Their website shows example screenshots of the controller automatically adjusting temperature, adjusting light schedules but no reference to how this is accomplished. Or what lights and temp controller would be compatible.

Seems like it may require lots of scripting, macros, etc to do this??? But who knows because there's no info anywhere elaborating on any of it.

At $1000 for the kit, it's just to steep of a buy in not knowing what your getting.

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is old but does anyone have any new information/discoveries they have for the felix controller? I have one coming tomorrow that I got used from another reefer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back