Any fish suggestions for a 40gal reef tank

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a relatively new reefer with a 40 gallon breeder reef tank
Unfortunately I had a really bad case of ich in my tank a couple months ago and it wiped out everything but since then I’ve done a 75 day fallow period and set up a qt but now I’m back to the difficult decision of choosing fish
2 clowns and a white tail bristle tooth tang are already on my list but I’m wondering if anyone has some amazing fish they would recommend me. I’m also thinking about a melanorries wrasse.

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I had a really bad case of ich in my tank a couple months ago and it wiped out everything but since then I’ve done a 75 day fallow period and set up a qt but now I’m back to the difficult decision of choosing fish
2 clowns and a white tail bristle tooth tang are already on my list but I’m wondering if anyone has some amazing fish they would recommend me. I’m also thinking about a melanorries wrasse.
Helfrichi

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the tang. Should be in a larger tank. Watchman goby and a pistol shrimp are fun.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may also want to rethink the clowns -- or at least pick your clowns very carefully -- if you're worried about aggression. I have a pair of skunks in my IM40, and they're perfectly civil inhabitants, but just bob up and down near their rock all day and aren't particularly interesting. There are better choices for fish, unless you really want a pair of clowns.

I like the idea of firefish. Helfrichis are pricey -- at least in my area -- and I'm not sure I'd spend $250 for that type of fish. Purple firefish are much cheaper and just as spectacular, and mine adds life and beauty to my Evo.

Gobies and blennies have loads of personality and, somehow, are always near the bottom of most peoples' lists. But they shouldn't be! My diamond goby is a grump, but has really interesting habits, and keeps the sandbed clean. You'd have to spot-feed one in a new tank, though, and I wouldn't get one if you're considering oolite or a fine grain of sand: I have "special grade" sand in mine, and that's bad enough.

You can also consider orchid dottybacks. If you search enough threads here, you'll find out that many people have come to really, really hate their dottybacks, but my captive-bred ones have all been fine, and I haven't seen any aggression at all from them. Yet.

Yeet.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow corris wrasse, smaller than melanorries wrasse and not aggressive like a 6 line. Functional with eating things like flat worms too

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am a big fan of yellow coris wrasse in a small tank. Great utility fish but also looks good. I love clowns and have a pair in every tank i have they are my favorite fish by far so i am with you there.

Others i like for a small tank are watchman goby. As far as tangs go your choice is one of the smaller, but that is still pretty large fish that needs to swim for a 40.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to shout out the Royal Gramma - super cool, inexpensive, colorful. Pretty ideal imo.

Also look in to a blenny. Starry, algae, or tailspot blennies are also great fish.

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have

Pink streak wrasse
Royal gramma
Purple firefish
Pajama cardinalfish
Goby/pistol pair

Planning to add:
Tailspot blenny

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're planning an upgrade id skip the tang, but fire fish and grammas are great small reef fish and if youre willing to do a little extra a mandarin would be cool

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back