Any Freshwater Puffer Experts

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand this is saltwater forum but with all the knowledge here I feel someone can help. I have a freshwater arrowhead puffer who is not eating and seems unbalanced laying on the bottom. Hes usually very reactive when offered food but in the past week hes only eaten one bite i had to shove in his mouth and after spitting out several times he finally swallowed a small piece. Ive done several water changes and have added salt since. so testing the water after didnt tell me much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I understand this is saltwater forum but with all the knowledge here I feel someone can help. I have a freshwater arrowhead puffer who is not eating and seems unbalanced laying on the bottom. Hes usually very reactive when offered food but in the past week hes only eaten one bite i had to shove in his mouth and after spitting out several times he finally swallowed a small piece. Ive done several water changes and have added salt since. so testing the water after didnt tell me much.
Sounds like an internal issue but can you post a couple of pics under white lighting?
Also, they need aquarium salt in their water (not sea salt) or even epsom salt/cooking salt and a little acidic on Ph - Oops, see you added salt- NO TABLE SALT

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply i will add some photos and Ive added one tbs of aquarium salt each day for the past three days. I dont ant to add any more its roughly 20 gals or just under.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220612_123449.jpg
16550741529292047545203613453194.jpg

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply i will add some photos and Ive added one tbs of aquarium salt each day for the past three days. I dont ant to add any more its roughly 20 gals or just under.
Dont plan to add any more*

Ive never added salt to his water prior to this however

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are params?
Could you try to get a pic of it from the side? Internal parasites are pretty common in puffers, so that would be my initial guess.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 more days without eating, and I've been doing frequent water changes in his roughly 20 gal tank I believe hes a
Pao suvattii who I've had a little over a year.

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 more days without eating, and I've been doing frequent water changes in his roughly 20 gal tank I believe hes a
Water changes will only stress it out and make it worse. Unless absolutely necessary, avoid water changes while trying to fix a fish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes will only stress it out and make it worse. Unless absolutely necessary, avoid water changes while trying to fix a fish
I’m actually going to have to disagree here.
Especially in freshwater, water changes are your best friend. In most cases, the best medicine is keeping the water as clean as possible. A fish will be stressed for the 20 minutes a water change takes, and then is typically back to normal soon after.
Any white stringy poo? Can you get more pics?
I’m still thinking that it’s due to internal parasites.
What have you tried feeding? Perhaps a change in diet can help.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually going to have to disagree here.
Especially in freshwater, water changes are your best friend. In most cases, the best medicine is keeping the water as clean as possible. A fish will be stressed for the 20 minutes a water change takes, and then is typically back to normal soon after.

Any white stringy poo? Can you get more pics?
I’m still thinking that it’s due to internal parasites.
What have you tried feeding? Perhaps a change in diet can help.
He is not eating or pooping in over a week now. I never recall it being stringy however im sure this is somthing internal at this point but dont know what my options for medicine are as he is not eating.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the typical diet?
I think
It wouldn’t hurt to treat with a dewormer like levamisole and prazi (both treat for different types).

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the typical diet?
I think
It wouldn’t hurt to treat with a dewormer like levamisole and prazi (both treat for different types).
primarily frozen krill, and I offer clams and snails every now and then. But has refused everything I've offered him for over a week now.

can these be treated together at the same time I'm sure he doesn't have much time left if he doesn't eat but he does seem more responsive the past couple days.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll divert that question to @Jay Hemdal
I think they are okay together but I would personally separate just to be safe.
Another thing I’d do is try feeding mysis or bloodworms. I’ve never seen a freshwater fish not go crazy over them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I’d do is try feeding mysis or bloodworms. I’ve never seen a freshwater fish not go crazy over them.
Sorry - IDK. I've never dosed a FW puffer with levamisole.

Jay

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the tank with expel-p last night and will treat with prazi next if he makes it any longer. He is looking better then when i first posted but is still not eating.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back