Any help greatly appreciated

ZAMBOLT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it is. I have googled and looked about to no avail.

I would just like to know if this is something to be concerned about.

Many thanks all

20210622_190359.jpg

OP
OP
ZAMBOLT

ZAMBOLT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh is it a sponge, I bought the mushrooms on the live rock and then the white branch started to grow

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago a buddy of mine had a branching sponge spring up after introducing a new piece of live rock - it took over. That stuff grew like wildfire! A clearer picture would help in identification; however, going on that one I'd say it's the same thing.

You probably are aware of this, my apologies if you are.... But that red mushroom I see right there is the devil - pure evil those things are. They'll take over your tank if they like their environment. Save yourself a future headache and flush that thing now... Lol. Some folks love them, some despise them. Seriously though, it's something to consider in the long term planning of your reef.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZAMBOLT

ZAMBOLT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago a buddy of mine had a branching sponge spring up after introducing a new piece of live rock - it took over. That stuff grew like wildfire! A clearer picture would help in identification; however, going on that one I'd say it's the same thing.

You probably are aware of this, my apologies if you are.... But that red mushroom I see right there is the devil - pure evil those things are. They'll take over your tank if they like their environment. Save yourself a future headache and flush that thing now... Lol. Some folks love them, some despise them. Seriously though, it's something to consider in the long term planning of your reef.

Attachments

• 16244601240323228816515984333711.jpg
    16244601240323228816515984333711.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 26

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this better
Yes, thank you. If my recollection serves me right, that's the same thing. First, sponges are not a bad thing if they don't overgrow a prized coral. It is my understanding that some sponges pack a decent punch. Secondly, if you like the look, keep it trimmed into a desirable form and leave it be.

OP
OP
ZAMBOLT

ZAMBOLT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thank you. If my recollection serves me right, that's the same thing. First, sponges are not a bad thing if they don't overgrow a prized coral. It is my understanding that some sponges pack a decent punch. Secondly, if you like the look, keep it trimmed into a desirable form and leave it be.
Thank you, for your help. I quite like it so I will just keep an eye on it

Back