Any idea of type of Algae this is?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the topic reads, I do have a tad of left over GHA, but this stuff has a distinct structure, looks like a grass...just another type of GHA?
20210624_141517.jpg
20210624_141545.jpg
20210624_141604.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is probably the ONLY piece of rock I AM able to remove from the tank without affecting the rock stricture in my tank. What do I do, just scrub the rock vigorously?

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course I live in Canada, where getting my hands on meds requires a prescription or an ebay purchase. So any other handy remedies?

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased flucinazole lol in case of emergencies for future. But I'd rather not resort to that.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you apply it in just the localized area where the algae is, I'd go full strength. Use standard 3%. Put it on and let it sit and bubble. Then rinse in FSW and return to the tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bryopsis. It can spread easily and can be very difficult to remove. Most snails, crabs, and algae eating fish usually won’t eat it, though I’ve seen some individual tangs and fox faces eat it. Just depends on the individual fish. If you have an adequate sized tank, I would recommend getting a tang (or a few different tangs) anyway, they will keep your rocks clean better than nearly any other member of your CuC (though one that will eat bryopsis is possible, it’s unlikely).

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you apply it in just the localized area where the algae is, I'd go full strength. Use standard 3%. Put it on and let it sit and bubble. Then rinse in FSW and return to the tank.
I'll try that. If it goes buck wild I have Flux RX coming in the mail in case of emergencies. It's kinda hard in Canada; go to my vet for a prescription for my fish is kinda ridiculous lol

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bryopsis. It can spread easily and can be very difficult to remove. Most snails, crabs, and algae eating fish usually won’t eat it, though I’ve seen some individual tangs and fox faces eat it. Just depends on the individual fish. If you have an adequate sized tank, I would recommend getting a tang (or a few different tangs) anyway, they will keep your rocks clean better than nearly any other member of your CuC (though one that will eat bryopsis is possible, it’s unlikely).
Can't have tangs :( have 65

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawmower ate all mine until there was no more. Unusual ? Maybe

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hares eat it. Remove as much as you can by hand, you can do this without moving the rock. It may be a battle, but I wouldn't go putting peroxide on your rocks for bryopsis, or anything.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hares eat it. Remove as much as you can by hand, you can do this without moving the rock. It may be a battle, but I wouldn't go putting peroxide on your rocks for bryopsis, or anything.
Literally took eye lash curlers (forget the name of these things lol) and came right back :( then took a toothbrush...came back. Luckily for now it is just on this one rock in this one spot. My second thought was remove rock, and scrub...so you say no H2O2 when rock out of tank, rinse and put back?

Back