Any Idea on this growth?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the circular brown growth - middle towards the top - is? How about the reddish/purple to its right? I'm assuming both are some kind of algae, but if either is "bad" I would like to know.

whatsthis.jpg

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the circular brown growth - middle towards the top - is? How about the reddish/purple to its right? I'm assuming both are some kind of algae, but if either is "bad" I would like to know.

whatsthis.jpg
the brown is not in focus the reddish is a type of coraline algae

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google padina algae and see if it looks similar to the brown piece. Red one also looks like some sort of macroalgae. Based off that picture I would definitely think it is not coralline algae. Easy to check though scrape it with your finger if it is coralline it will be very hard and wont feel plantlike or gelatinous.

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look a bit like the padina algae, still small so pretty much just one color, no rings, etc.

The red one is definitely not coralline. It's leafy and I was guessing some type of macro algae also.

Thanks

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look a bit like the padina algae, still small so pretty much just one color, no rings, etc.

The red one is definitely not coralline. It's leafy and I was guessing some type of macro algae also.

Thanks
oh, i was thinking something like Mesophyllum coraline algae, but i don't believe it would be flexible like mentioned.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back