Any idea on why my convict tang is not putting on weight?

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I bought this convict tang from Mike at dr reefs qtd fish, I bought him qtd. I'm happy with the fish this is not Mike's fault I don't think, I just want to know why he was fat when he came in and has gotten so skinny over time. My tank gets a minimum of 4 cubes of frozen food plus a sheet of nori daily. I only have 8 fish at the moment. He eats really well, just not putting on weight. I started feeding focus, kanaplex, metroplex, and general cure soaked food today. Sometimes my convict will flash and scrape against the sand, his poops are normal I've never seen it poop worms.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my convict for 6 months now. He is voracious. My primary food is pellets for the entire tank (14 fish). I treat them to frozen cubes maybe once a week. Some dried seaweed strips once a week. The convict also picks at algae. He, the sailfin tang, and a just moved from quarantine bristle nose tang all are chubby.

I know many have a negative view of prepared dry food. The advantage I see is the pellets are much more nutritional than the frozen cubes.. The cubes are mostly water. Low protein content. The pellets are high protein, fat, fiber content. You may want to use pellets in addition to frozen cubes. All of my fish go nuts when they see me walking to the tank. They know they are about to be fed and they eat it all before it hits the bottom.

About the flashing, was he treated for flukes with prazi while in QT? Any sign of white spots or excessive mucus on the skin?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture?
Convict tangs are high energy fish. My first thought is it’s caloric intake may just be too low. If it is missing just a small percentage of it’s needed calories, it will thin down over time. The first step is to feed it more, feed it to satiation twice a day, with high calorie food.
Metroplex and General Cure both contain metronidazole, so don’t dose them together.

Metro is very bitter. The joke is- if you make treated food with metro and the fish actually eat it, the dose is too low.

You typically will not see worms in fish feces unless they were killed be a worming agent. Live worms stay put and just release microscopic eggs.

Jay

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture?
Convict tangs are high energy fish. My first thought is it’s caloric intake may just be too low. If it is missing just a small percentage of it’s needed calories, it will thin down over time. The first step is to feed it more, feed it to satiation twice a day, with high calorie food.
Metroplex and General Cure both contain metronidazole, so don’t dose them together.

Metro is very bitter. The joke is- if you make treated food with metro and the fish actually eat it, the dose is too low.

You typically will not see worms in fish feces bless they were killed be a worming agent. Live worms stay put and just release microscopic eggs.

Jay
I will probably do focus, general cure, and kanaplex. I feed 4 cubes of frozen a day and a full sheet of nori, I guess I'll feed more but he likes brine shrimp more than mysis shrimp, he spits a lot of the mysis pieces back out. He grazes all day too so I don't know why he got so skinny.

Attachments

• CBB8FE18-C3DC-4FB2-B105-B2561AF7759D.jpeg
    CBB8FE18-C3DC-4FB2-B105-B2561AF7759D.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 65
  • BFA59897-966A-4413-BA69-93F0B7309612.jpeg
    BFA59897-966A-4413-BA69-93F0B7309612.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 4F99C8F0-5616-4B9D-8FF9-19302E8D03CB.jpeg
    4F99C8F0-5616-4B9D-8FF9-19302E8D03CB.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 76

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never question @Jay Hemdal. My only question is, WHEN was this fish bought and received. I ask this question because I have 6 tang currently.

ANY fish and Tang I put thru QT will always eat Frozen soaked in GC and Focus.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never question @Jay Hemdal. My only question is, WHEN was this fish bought and received. I ask this question because I have 6 tang currently.
I got him from dr reefs about 2 months ago, he came in fat, took a beating from my achilles and now they're buddies. He loves nori, I just don't know how much to feed because I'm already feeding a lot, my fish always have a belly on them and they're all fat except him.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him from dr reefs about 2 months ago, he came in fat, took a beating from my achilles and now they're buddies. He loves nori, I just don't know how much to feed because I'm already feeding a lot, my fish always have a belly on them and they're all fat except him.
K, something to start with, as I seen with my Blonde Naso tang, I seen my Blonde Naso tang tear up Nori. but was very specific in the frozen food I normally feed. I would break up a sheet of nori into little bits and the Blonde Naso would tear it up.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing meds is not a good idea, best to do one at a time. Skinny can usually mean a few things that are common. Internal bacteria, worms, being harassed, or lack of feeding. Doesn't look like you don't feed enough. Maybe try smaller food if you have any.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience convict tangs are somewhat difficult to establish in new tanks. They have high metabolisms. Much like my idol — until it ate nori in my tank it nearly starved out. Now it’s been about a year and a half and it’s fat and healthy.

It can be difficult for them to transition to eating nori so frequent small frozen feedings are good initially. Sometimes they eat formula 2 flakes, or pellets because they’re often used to feed to get through quarantine. Feed whatever they’ll eat and as they watch your resident tangs eat, they’ll begin to do the same (hopefully).

My idol was shy and wasn’t getting enough nori and began losing weight 10-12 months ago and my solution was to put nori on each side of the tank at the same time now it’s thriving again.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really lucky with my convict. He ate pellets from day 1 in my QT. Perhaps he copied my sailfin tang that was in the QT at the same time and also ate pellets from day 1. Food requirements increase exponentially as the fish grows.

Something to think about.

1 cube - Omega One Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp= 1/2 teaspoon
= 2.9 grams x (5.4%protein + 0.9% fat) = .183 grams nutritional value

1 teaspoon - New Life Spectrum pellets
= 3.0 grams x (36%protein + 7% fat) = 1.29 grams nutritional value ( 1.29 x 50% = .645 grams per 1 /2 teaspoon)

Estimated amount of food required daily = 3% of body weight (some say 4% - 5%) for very active fish
(common rule of thumb)

Weight calculator (see in stickies) 3" convict = 13.1 grams x 3% = .4 grams daily
4" convict = 30.9 grams x 3% = .9 grams daily
5" convict = 60.3 grams x 3% = 1.8 grams daily

cubes required daily = 3" convict = .4 grams fish wt / 2.9 grams cube weight = 0.14 cube
4" convict = .9 grams fish wt / 2.9 grams cube weight = 0.31 cube
5" convict = 1.8 grams fish wt / 2.9 grams cube weight = 0.62 cube

pellets required daily = 3" convict = .4 grams fish wt / 3.0 grams per teaspoon = 0.13 teaspoon (1/8 teaspoon)
4" convict = .9 grams fish wt / 3.0 grams per teaspoon = 0.30 teaspoon (1/4 -1/3 teaspoon)
5" convict = 1.8 grams fish wt / 3.0 grams per teaspoon = 0.60 teaspoon (1/2 - 2/3 teaspoon)

Daily Nutritional Value from cubes = 3" convict = .14 cube x .183 grams nutritional value per cube = .026 grams
4" convict = .31 cube x .183 grams nutritional value per cube = .057 grams
5" convict = .62 cube x .183 grams nutritional value per cube = .113 grams

Daily Nutritional Value from pellets =3" convict = .13 tsp x 1.29 grams nutritional value per tsp = .17 grams
4" convict = .30 tsp x 1.29 grams nutritional value per tsp = .39 grams
5" convict = .60 tsp x 1.29 grams nutritional value per tsp = .77 grams

# cubes required to match pellets nutritional value = 3" convict = .17 pellet value / .183 per cube = 1.1 cubes
4" convict = .39 pellet value / .183 per cube = 2.1 cubes
5" convict = .77 pellet value / .183 per cube = 4.2 cubes

Note: if you have adequate algae in the DT to supplement food, you may be able to get by with slightly less cubes or pellets. The numbers above are for an entire day, so adjust accordingly.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience convict tangs are somewhat difficult to establish in new tanks. They have high metabolisms. Much like my idol — until it ate nori in my tank it nearly starved out. Now it’s been about a year and a half and it’s fat and healthy.

It can be difficult for them to transition to eating nori so frequent small frozen feedings are good initially. Sometimes they eat formula 2 flakes, or pellets because they’re often used to feed to get through quarantine. Feed whatever they’ll eat and as they watch your resident tangs eat, they’ll begin to do the same (hopefully).

My idol was shy and wasn’t getting enough nori and began losing weight 10-12 months ago and my solution was to put nori on each side of the tank at the same time now it’s thriving again.
My convict eats the food I offer, I offer in total one full sheet of nori a day split into 2 feedings, sometimes I'll do another half sheet at night if I'm not at work. I also feed pellets at least once a day, then I'll feed frozen food too. I was thinking maybe he has something going on internally but hearing everyone saying how fast their metabolism is, I'll try feeding even more. Thanks for chiming in!! Appreciate it :)

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
I was really lucky with my convict. He ate pellets from day 1 in my QT. Perhaps he copied my sailfin tang that was in the QT at the same time and also ate pellets from day 1. Food requirements increase exponentially as the fish grows.

Something to think about.

1 cube - Omega One Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp= 1/2 teaspoon
= 2.9 grams x (5.4%protein + 0.9% fat) = .183 grams nutritional value

1 teaspoon - New Life Spectrum pellets
= 3.0 grams x (36%protein + 7% fat) = 1.29 grams nutritional value ( 1.29 x 50% = .645 grams per 1 /2 teaspoon)

Estimated amount of food required daily = 3% of body weight (some say 4% - 5%) for very active fish
(common rule of thumb)

Weight calculator (see in stickies) 3" convict = 13.1 grams x 3% = .4 grams daily
4" convict = 30.9 grams x 3% = .9 grams daily
5" convict = 60.3 grams x 3% = 1.8 grams daily

cubes required daily = 3" convict = .4 grams fish wt / 2.9 grams cube weight = 0.14 cube
4" convict = .9 grams fish wt / 2.9 grams cube weight = 0.31 cube
5" convict = 1.8 grams fish wt / 2.9 grams cube weight = 0.62 cube

pellets required daily = 3" convict = .4 grams fish wt / 3.0 grams per teaspoon = 0.13 teaspoon (1/8 teaspoon)
4" convict = .9 grams fish wt / 3.0 grams per teaspoon = 0.30 teaspoon (1/4 -1/3 teaspoon)
5" convict = 1.8 grams fish wt / 3.0 grams per teaspoon = 0.60 teaspoon (1/2 - 2/3 teaspoon)

Daily Nutritional Value from cubes = 3" convict = .14 cube x .183 grams nutritional value per cube = .026 grams
4" convict = .31 cube x .183 grams nutritional value per cube = .057 grams
5" convict = .62 cube x .183 grams nutritional value per cube = .113 grams

Daily Nutritional Value from pellets =3" convict = .13 tsp x 1.29 grams nutritional value per tsp = .17 grams
4" convict = .30 tsp x 1.29 grams nutritional value per tsp = .39 grams
5" convict = .60 tsp x 1.29 grams nutritional value per tsp = .77 grams

# cubes required to match pellets nutritional value = 3" convict = .17 pellet value / .183 per cube = 1.1 cubes
4" convict = .39 pellet value / .183 per cube = 2.1 cubes
5" convict = .77 pellet value / .183 per cube = 4.2 cubes

Note: if you have adequate algae in the DT to supplement food, you may be able to get by with slightly less cubes or pellets. The numbers above are for an entire day, so adjust accordingly.
Wow thanks for the detailed information! This is some really valuable info. Looks like I'm gonna have to be feeding more, I was using nori as its main source of food because he goes crazy for it but I can offer it pellets more often. My convict is about 4 inches too so he does need more food, I also have 3 other tangs that are always grazing so there's not always a lot of algae to go around.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P

Wow thanks for the detailed information! This is some really valuable info. Looks like I'm gonna have to be feeding more, I was using nori as its main source of food because he goes crazy for it but I can offer it pellets more often. My convict is about 4 inches too so he does need more food, I also have 3 other tangs that are always grazing so there's not always a lot of algae to go around.
Remember that all nori isn’t equal in nutrition. IMO roasted nori sushi sheets aren’t very nutritious. Air dried is better, and dried algae from varied species (from Omega Sea or Two Fishies) is best.
Jay

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 cubes really isn’t that much for 8 fish, with a sheet of nori, especially with at least one being a tang, you also say he prefers brine shrimp and spits the Mysis out…I would start with the premise he is underfed.

I would try buying some octopus, clams etc, freezing them then grating, so many types of frozen food out there, no reason to be feeding Mysis if you can see the fish doesn’t like it.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 cubes really isn’t that much for 8 fish, with a sheet of nori, especially with at least one being a tang, you also say he prefers brine shrimp and spits the Mysis out…I would start with the premise he is underfed.

I would try buying some octopus, clams etc, freezing them then grating, so many types of frozen food out there, no reason to be feeding Mysis if you can see the fish doesn’t like it.
I don't have large enough fish that enjoy the chunky pieces in LRS but I would love to feed that, do you know if LRS has a blend for smaller fish? What frozen would you reccomend? I'll kick the feeding up a notch for sure, thanks for the info!

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that all nori isn’t equal in nutrition. IMO roasted nori sushi sheets aren’t very nutritious. Air dried is better, and dried algae from varied species (from Omega Sea or Two Fishies) is best.
Jay
I use the two little fishies purple and green seaweed, thanks again Jay you always offer great info when I need it. Appreciate the replies I get from you.

Back