Any idea what this colorful thing could be?

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple picture update for those following along. The stuff encrusting the rock is now more clearly visible and spreading quicker it seems. The original polyps or whatever they are seem to have reached there max size as they haven't gotten any bigger. I have noticed how they sprout, I will see a little tiny neon green spot on the encrusting part and those turn into the final product. A couple weeks ago I tilted one of the Kessils towards it a little more to give it a little more direct light, and instantly noticed within a couple days a couple new little spots growing, it's up to 9 heads now. One new thing I noticed last night after the lights had been off for a few hours and scanned the tank with a flashlight was what looked like 1/2 to 1 inch thin strands like stinger or feeding strands coming out of them, I did put some reef roids in the tank prior to lights out.

IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new growth looks like echinophyllia lamellosa, aka Hollywood stunner. I've not seen one with swollen polyps before or showing a orange colour. My first thought would be that it's taken over a blasto but they are so aggressive you wouldn't get anything coexisting with it. For now I'd just describe it as interesting.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya but if u read the whole thread ud see it started as those couple polyps and spread the Matt out....I'm still leaning toward blasto...just growing differently then we've seen...

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following the saga. Lots of guesses, but I would just be happy to have it in my tank. Great score!

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a chalice. I’m guessing the the larger more colorful original part possibly developed because it wasn’t getting much light. The new growth is definitely different now that it is getting more light. I would try cutting it in half and experimenting by placing it back in low light and see what happens. I’m willing to make the trip from PHX AZ to HB Cali in order to assist LOL.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya but if u read the whole thread ud see it started as those couple polyps and spread the Matt out....I'm still leaning toward blasto...just growing differently then we've seen...

I know it did but look at the first picture in post 63. The chalice on the left could easily have broken and settled around the blasto looking coral. It wouldn't have taken much for a small piece to get knocked off when cleaning or even just a fish clipping it.

mayanreefer71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Definitely looks like a chalice with sick looking polyps!!! Wow....whatever it is, it's morphing I think into something new! Very cool...good luck! Please keep us updated!

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a piece of the chalice, it morphed with it. I think that in the very low light it was growing in when I found it it produced those crazy colored polyps, but after months of light it changed to what the chalice growing next to it was, and now have just grown together. One day I’m gonna break off a little piece and place it under a shelf with no indirect light and very shaded to see if i can duplicate it again. Kind of a bummer it wasn’t something new and exciting but at the same time kinda crazy what it looked like considering it was the same coral but from being in very low light growing with those beautiful colored polyps. Will post a pic shortly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back