Any idea what's going on with my GBTA?

Mcd9423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this nem for about a month - and it's looked pretty good until this morning. I'm not sure what might be going on with it - it's very spread out and looks like it's squeezing it's middle together? I also noticed that it only has tentacles on the edges - nothing in the middle.

1666716589852.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this nem for about a month - and it's looked pretty good until this morning. I'm not sure what might be going on with it - it's very spread out and looks like it's squeezing it's middle together? I also noticed that it only has tentacles on the edges - nothing in the middle.

1666716589852.png
Maybe there is going to be two pretty soon.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested parameters? Sharing your numbers could help others in pinpointing the problem. Also any recent changes like new light cycle or new fish, change in water flow, when was your last water change? Anemone definitely looks to be struggling but a good water change can do wonders for your corals, inverts & the entire system.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks as though it is about to split. It can happen for a variety of reasons though. On one end of the spectrum, a nem will split if it's comfortable, well fed, and has grown enough that the energy to keep one body is too taxing.

On the other side of that coin is if the nem is stressed, has poor water quality, underfed, or generally doesn't like where it is but can't get away from it's stressor, again, it'll split as a survival response.

The trick is determining which end of the anemone split spectrum you're on.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give accurate advice parameters, tank age and lighting being used are required. All play a huge role keeping anemone.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is splitting, and it looks to be splitting out of preservation versus multiplication. Its bleached for sure, which can happen for a number of reason, water params off, not enough light, too much light, basically anything. BTA are not as susceptible as carpets but they do get bacterial infections from time to time, and bacterial infections kill anemones fast. How long has it been that color?

OP
OP
M

Mcd9423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is splitting, and it looks to be splitting out of preservation versus multiplication. Its bleached for sure, which can happen for a number of reason, water params off, not enough light, too much light, basically anything. BTA are not as susceptible as carpets but they do get bacterial infections from time to time, and bacterial infections kill anemones fast. How long has it been that color?
It's been this color since I received it. It chose a spot that's kind of underneath the rock so isn't in full light, but it does still move every couple of nights. I'm using stock BioCube 32 LEDs

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it keeps moving it has not found a happy spot. Im not familiar enough to pass judgement on the Bio cube's stock lights, but anemones need a fair amount of light at the right spectrum to do well.

OP
OP
M

Mcd9423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give accurate advice parameters, tank age and lighting being used are required. All play a huge role keeping anemone.
It's stock 32g biocube LED lighting. The tank is ~2 months.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock bio cube lighting and too young of a tank to handle an anemone. Need to upgrade lights and wait another eight months at least for good success with anemones. If you know of anyone with a mature tank you could ask them to hold onto it until your tank is more mature.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock bio cube lighting and too young of a tank to handle an anemone. Need to upgrade lights and wait another eight months at least for good success with anemones. If you know of anyone with a mature tank you could ask them to hold onto it until your tank is more mature.
+1

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back