Any ideas about the possible cause of death of this fish ?

Alexoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little clownfish was eating well but kept on getting skinnier and skinnier, saw him this morning getting tossed around by the flow in the DT, tried to put him in an hospital tank but he was dead 30 minutes later, no surprise here, he was already on the verge of death in the DT.
Fish wasn t QT, was hesitating to do it as i read so many pros and cons on every topic.
i might do it now of course, a guy learns.

Tank :
WB 220.6 mixed reef, cycled for 7 weeks with a lot of live rocks coming from well established tanks
filtration is made through socks, floss and skimmer
refugium working very well with chaeto and a lot of various pods.
A little GHA, and spots of coraline starting to appear everywhere, a very little bit of cyano too, but nothing worrying for now.
Lighting with 4x prime HD 32

Water parameters are checked every two or three days and are in range for weeks, only the Po4 was a little bit high for the first weeks
Salinity : 1.025
PH : 8.2
NH3 : 0
No2 : 0
No3 : 2
KH : 8.2
Cal : 530
Mag : 1360
Po4 : 0.03
temp : 77 to 78f

water change of 10% every week, Reff Crystals salt mix

Live stock :
- various snails
- various crabs
- 1 starfish
- 9 chromis (first fish introduced, 7 weeks in)
- 2x ocelaris clowns (7 weeks in, one seems to eat less for a few days, but seems ok)
- diamondback goby (6 weeks in, perfeclty healthy, works like hell with the sand)
- dragonet goby (6 weeks in, seems fine)
- 1x flasher wrasse (7 weeks in, very healthy)
- 2x black ocelaris (2 weeks in, the one dead, the other eating well and gaining weight)
- 1 yellow watchman goby (2 weeks in, wasn t eating for the first days, seems to do it now, maybe a bit skinny)
- 1 small rayal gramma, eats but skinny, but again, very small, 1in, hard to tell.
- 2x coral banded shrimp, very healthy
- 1x cleaner shrimp
- 1x blood shrimp
- 2x peppermint (1 dead, eaten by CBD while molding)

No bullying except the two CBS between each other.

All the last ones comes from Candy Corals (black ocelaris, gramma, yellow watchman goby).

i always drip acclimate the fish and inverts for about an hour, worked so far
corals (softies and LPS mainly, a few SPS) are doing very well, none lost so far.

i feed twice a day, 1 or 2 frozen cube (mysis, brine, krill) and dry pellets.

Since this tank runs i lost 1 chromis, dropped dead after getting in the powerhead, 1 tuxedo urchin, and 1 lawn mower goby, obvious lack of algae in my tank i think, my mistake.

about the dead clown, he was eating fine but skinny, grew some kind of fungus like fuzz on its lower jaw, had the two eyes kinda swollen, whitish, almost like pop-eyes, and i noticed a whitish patch on its side while removing him.
sounds like a bacterial infection, but why ?
did a freshwater bath a few days ago that removed the fungus like thing for a few days, but didn t last.

Medicines for tanks are hard to find in Canada but i have at my disposal if needed : copper, prazipro, levamisole, melafix and pimafix (not sure i can use those last two with SW tho)

I m well aware that i took a risk by not QT those fishs, but being the first fishs in a new tank and my first experience with marine tank, i was afraid to kill them buy doing wrong in QT, i may reconsider now.
i m also well aware that the tank is still young, and loses may occure in the first months, i just prefer to be proactive and act if some more experienced reefers suspect something bad underlying in this tank.

Thank you for taking time to read, tried to give as many infos as possible, ask me if something s missing.

Ps : english isn t my birth langage, apologies if hard to read.

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg

Last edited:

stagger lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually when a fish is eating well, but keeps losing weight, intestinal worms or parasites are to blame

this then causes a domino effect by lower the immune system and makes the fish more susceptible to other diseases

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say why 1 clownfish died? I could make a few guesses, #1 would be that the fish got exposed to disease at the lfs and got sick and died from stress in a new environment.

Try to feed all of the survivors well with a variety of healthy fresh foods and pray they all remain healthy.
Gl.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little clownfish was eating well but kept on getting skinnier and skinnier, saw him this morning getting tossed around by the flow in the DT, tried to put him in an hospital tank but he was dead 30 minutes later, no surprise here, he was already on the verge of death in the DT.
Fish wasn t QT, was hesitating to do it as i read so many pros and cons on every topic.
i might do it now of course, a guy learns.

Tank :
WB 220.6 mixed reef, cycled for 7 weeks with a lot of live rocks coming from well established tanks
filtration is made through socks, floss and skimmer
refugium working very well with chaeto and a lot of various pods.
A little GHA, and spots of coraline starting to appear everywhere, a very little bit of cyano too, but nothing worrying for now.
Lighting with 4x prime HD 32

Water parameters are checked every two or three days and are in range for weeks, only the Po4 was a little bit high for the first weeks
Salinity : 1.025
PH : 8.2
NH3 : 0
No2 : 0
No3 : 2
KH : 8.2
Cal : 530
Mag : 1360
Po4 : 0.03
temp : 77 to 78f

water change of 10% every week, Reff Crystals salt mix

Live stock :
- various snails
- various crabs
- 1 starfish
- 9 chromis (first fish introduced, 7 weeks in)
- 2x ocelaris clowns (7 weeks in, one seems to eat less for a few days, but seems ok)
- diamondback goby (6 weeks in, perfeclty healthy, works like hell with the sand)
- dragonet goby (6 weeks in, seems fine)
- 1x flasher wrasse (7 weeks in, very healthy)
- 2x black ocelaris (2 weeks in, the one dead, the other eating well and gaining weight)
- 1 yellow watchman goby (2 weeks in, wasn t eating for the first days, seems to do it now, maybe a bit skinny)
- 1 small rayal gramma, eats but skinny, but again, very small, 1in, hard to tell.
- 2x coral banded shrimp, very healthy
- 1x cleaner shrimp
- 1x blood shrimp
- 2x peppermint (1 dead, eaten by CBD while molding)

No bullying except the two CBS between each other.

All the last ones comes from Candy Corals (black ocelaris, gramma, yellow watchman goby).

i always drip acclimate the fish and inverts for about an hour, worked so far
corals (softies and LPS mainly, a few SPS) are doing very well, none lost so far.

i feed twice a day, 1 or 2 frozen cube (mysis, brine, krill) and dry pellets.

Since this tank runs i lost 1 chromis, dropped dead after getting in the powerhead, 1 tuxedo urchin, and 1 lawn mower goby, obvious lack of algae in my tank i think, my mistake.

about the dead clown, he was eating fine but skinny, grew some kind of fungus like fuzz on its lower jaw, had the two eyes kinda swollen, whitish, almost like pop-eyes, and i noticed a whitish patch on its side while removing him.
sounds like a bacterial infection, but why ?
did a freshwater bath a few days ago that removed the fungus like thing for a few days, but didn t last.

Medicines for tanks are hard to find in Canada but i have at my disposal if needed : copper, prazipro, levamisole, melafix and pimafix (not sure i can use those last two with SW tho)

I m well aware that i took a risk by not QT those fishs, but being the first fishs in a new tank and my first experience with marine tank, i was afraid to kill them buy doing wrong in QT, i may reconsider now.
i m also well aware that the tank is still young, and loses may occure in the first months, i just prefer to be proactive and act if some more experienced reefers suspect something bad underlying in this tank.

Thank you for taking time to read, tried to give as many infos as possible, ask me if something s missing.

Ps : english isn t my birth langage, apologies if hard to read.

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg
Your tank looks like it’s doing good. The clownfish looks like it’s fins were a bit nipped. Perhaps another fish in the tank was bullying it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish being added in a short amount of time. I would say to give your beneficial bacteria time to multiply and catch up to the huge sudden bioload. Give it a few weeks

OP
OP
Alexoss

Alexoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is tested every two days since the beginning to monitor how it goes, never saw ammonia or nitrites while adding the fish but yes, tank is young I know, thing will settle along the way I guess.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back