Any Idea's as to what this is...ich or velvet?

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12096163_10153824924842481_8313081273507859399_n.jpg

OP
OP
DrayB

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok....so chloroquine phosphate, same as malaria tablets? do i need liquid form of can i dissolve some in RO water? whats the dose? reef safe?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich /black ich ? and the start of lateral line. No effective reef safe treatment. All fish need QT and treatment. Main tank fishless for atleast 72 days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a little history on the fish? Is he new? If so, how long ago was he added to the DT? If not, when was the last fish added?

Any behavioral symptoms? Scratching, flashing, twitching?

It looks like you may have multiple issues going on here.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any way to get more pics from some different angles? I'd like to see if anything is on his pectoral fins.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photo! But yes, more info is needed.

OP
OP
DrayB

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been in about 3 weeks now. had a little bout of ich when first introduced but that cleared up within a couple of days, he eats anything that goes in the tank which is a mix of....frozen brine and live every now and again....frozen mysis and live everyone and again...frozen krill....dried seaweed....and flake....and chopped up prawn every now and again.

as far as behaviour goes, i haven't seen anything that looks odd, he swims about munching off rocks....gets excited when i get near the tank to put seaweed in and thats about it.
I've not seen him flicking on the sand or rocks, but he does think that one of my sunburst anthia is a cleaner as he keeps offering himself up to it as if to say....go on then...gimme a clean.

he has the odd little scuffle with the yellow tang, they have a bit of a flick together, but then they go about the tank like they are best of buds.

ill see if i can get any better pics of all angles.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a very large aquarium, it is exceedingly difficult to manage ich long-term with an Acanthurus tang. I suggest reading the two articles below:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/understanding-ich.188770/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-treat-ich.191226/

Being you live in the UK, you have easy access to CP. It can be obtained from a chemist (what we call a pharmacy here in the US) without needing a prescription.

More info on CP here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

OP
OP
DrayB

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just been down to the chemist and they do sell CP at 125mg but in tablet form. whats the steps for this? and in the thread it states for "per gal" US or uk ? whats the litre volume to a US gallon?
oh...and you guys are the reason why i will always come here first!!!! thanks :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those big nodules on the face I"m stumped. I'd like to see what humblefish thinks this is. I think i see ick in there of course, but it's gotta be more than that.
Seriously great pictures by the way.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what great photos! Looks like ich to me but let's see what good ole humble says

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to get it in powder form if you can, but the tablets can still be used (see below). The problem is you get less "chloroquine base" out of the tablets so you must dose more. The following was taken from Bob Goemans online book, THE LIVING AQUARIUM MANUAL:
In most cases, 250 mg tablets have an equivalence of 150 mg chloroquine base, and 500 mg tablets have an equivalence of 300 mg chloroquine base. Although the purity mentioned above is generally accurate, it would be best to verify the chloroquine base contained in the tablets of your choice in order to be able to properly calculate the exact dosage. Keep in mind if you decide to use the tablets, there are some inactive ingredients, which you may have to deal with, e.g., Camauba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Pregelatinized Starch, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid, and Titanium Dioxide. And as mentioned earlier in this chapter there are occasions where some medicines are not in their pure form (100% pure), i.e., mixed with a substance called a 'carrier,' which should be noted on its label. If so its potency is reduced, and if not sure about the exact amount of medication needed, suggest contacting a more experienced aquarist for the way to resolve this situation.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosage for you is 10 mg per litre. But be sure you are dosing the actual chloroquine base when using the tablets.

The things on the face may be worms, but there is also a "mystery disease" going around (mostly seen in tangs) that looks a lot like that. Do a FW dip before placing the PBT in QT to see if the things on the face drop off (which would mean they are worms of some sort).

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes, Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get this crisis under control, I think we all want to know what make/model camera you are using to take these shots. ;)

Back