Any ideas for a light that can mount under biocube hood?

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone mounted an additional light under their biocube hood without modifying the lights that are currently in place? If yes, has the light you added increased the water temperature dramatically? What brand/model is the light?

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same situation as you a while back (no nem though) and was looking for ways to increase lighting, really found no easy solution. One thing I did do that did help was I cut out the plastic under the existing lights and siliconed in glass. The plastic in my hood was cloudy and scratched. That seemed to increase the intensity of the stock lights. A few weeks back I ended up getting the Steve’s led upgrade and very happy with the light I have now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same situation as you a while back (no nem though) and was looking for ways to increase lighting, really found no easy solution. One thing I did do that did help was I cut out the plastic under the existing lights and siliconed in glass. The plastic in my hood was cloudy and scratched. That seemed to increase the intensity of the stock lights. A few weeks back I ended up getting the Steve’s led upgrade and very happy with the light I have now.
I looked at those Steve's LEDs as well. They're super expensive and I was close to considering until I ran across the word "drill" in the directions as a part of the setup. I'm decently handy, but don't feel comfortable drilling into anything. I had hoped it would be more like, unscrew current lights and screw in new lights.

Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at those Steve's LEDs as well. They're super expensive and I was close to considering until I ran across the word "drill" in the directions as a part of the setup. I'm decently handy, but don't feel comfortable drilling into anything. I had hoped it would be more like, unscrew current lights and screw in new lights.
They are expensive, but I think they are worth the investment, especially if you are wanting to keep the stock look like I do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are expensive, but I think they are worth the investment, especially if you are wanting to keep the stock look like I do.
Did you have to drill into the hood for the setup of Steve's lights?

Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have to drill into the hood for the setup of Steve's lights?
Yeah, but it really isn’t bad at all. It’s a half inch hole to guide the new wires through. Take your time and you will have no issue at all. The most challenging part of the install, in my opinion, was programming the hurricane controller for the first time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but it really isn’t bad at all. It’s a half inch hole to guide the new wires through. Take your time and you will have no issue at all. The most challenging part of the install, in my opinion, was programming the hurricane controller for the first time.
I'll have to think about it, I can't go backwards once I drill. I guess I'm concerned about the integrity of what I drill and if it will give space for moisture getting into the wrong places.

I believe my nem was $79.99 or $69.99.

Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to think about it, I can't go backwards once I drill. I guess I'm concerned about the integrity of what I drill and if it will give space for moisture getting into the wrong places.

I believe my nem was $79.99 or $69.99.
You actually could go backwards, all you would need to do is fill the hole with silicone. There were a few threads in the last few weeks regarding the install of these lights that might be helpful. Let me know if you need a hand though.

been looking at that Nem for my clowns, not too bad of a price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You actually could go backwards, all you would need to do is fill the hole with silicone. There were a few threads in the last few weeks regarding the install of these lights that might be helpful. Let me know if you need a hand though.

Thx for the info! I’ll look for that post. I’ll reach out if I have any questions. Thx!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much did the change to Steve's LEDs affect your water temperature?

Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did the change to Steve's LEDs affect your water temperature?
I have not noticed an increase. I did move the tank a couple weekends ago and had to actually turn up the heater a notch. The fan in the kit move a lot more air than the stock fan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed an increase. I did move the tank a couple weekends ago and had to actually turn up the heater a notch. The fan in the kit move a lot more air than the stock fan.
I believe I found the other convo on Steve's LEDs you mentioned. Does the panel on the top of the hood control Steve's LEDs? Reading the other convo made it seem as if they had to setup the lights using something else. Perhaps the Hurricane that was mentioned. Does the hurricane replace the stock digital panel that comes with the biocube that controls the lighting?

Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I found the other convo on Steve's LEDs you mentioned. Does the panel on the top of the hood control Steve's LEDs? Reading the other convo made it seem as if they had to setup the lights using something else. Perhaps the Hurricane that was mentioned. Does the hurricane replace the stock digital panel that comes with the biocube that controls the lighting?
The stock digital panel is not used, but I left it in place. The lights use the hurricane to control which is connected to the power supply. I have the hurricane velcroed to the side of the stand for easy access but I may move it since water could potentially drip onto it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stock digital panel is not used, but I left it in place. The lights use the hurricane to control which is connected to the power supply. I have the hurricane velcroed to the side of the stand for easy access but I may move it since water could potentially drip onto it.
I'm gonna be honest, I have no confidence in installing this lighting myself. After reading the disclaimer and explanation in their installation guide, I've decided I'll either stick with the lights I have or I'll take the top off at some point. But spending 300+ dollars and knowing that I may potentially screw it up scares the bejesus out of me. They shouldn't even call it plug and play. A usb is plug and play, but they're truly misconstruing what the word plug and play means.

The wording alone scared me and if I wasn't paying so much I'd be comfortable going forth. Sorry, this isn't towards you...but personally....they should send a whole hood with the lights already attached and I should only have to replace the hood with their lighting already attached. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That should be the version for the scared people like me. Lol!!!

"This kit assumes you have a basic knowledge of electronics, such as never touching a live electrical circuit under any circumstances whatsoever, understanding polarity, wiring in series and parallel....." blah blah blah....scary...scary...lol! I don't know anything about understanding polarity or wiring in series and blah. Lol! Hell, I almost electrocuted myself once while replacing the light bulb on my over-the-stove microwave. I can put a cabinet together, I can replace a catalytic converter, change a tire, replace a computer hard drive, but I'm truly shaken at what the directions are asking me to do.

The worse part that really scared me was “We are not responsible for mistakes published in this guide, or installation errors as a result of mistakes published in this installation guide…” Lol! Yep, they can’t be my solution with words like that. No Steve’s LEDs for me.

I'll pay an extra $50 if they install it for me. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna be honest, I have no confidence in installing this lighting myself. After reading the disclaimer and explanation in their installation guide, I've decided I'll either stick with the lights I have or I'll take the top off at some point. But spending 300+ dollars and knowing that I may potentially screw it up scares the bejesus out of me. They shouldn't even call it plug and play. A usb is plug and play, but they're truly misconstruing what the word plug and play means.

The wording alone scared me and if I wasn't paying so much I'd be comfortable going forth. Sorry, this isn't towards you...but personally....they should send a whole hood with the lights already attached and I should only have to replace the hood with their lighting already attached. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That should be the version for the scared people like me. Lol!!!

"This kit assumes you have a basic knowledge of electronics, such as never touching a live electrical circuit under any circumstances whatsoever, understanding polarity, wiring in series and parallel....." blah blah blah....scary...scary...lol! I don't know anything about understanding polarity or wiring in series and blah. Lol! Hell, I almost electrocuted myself once while replacing the light bulb on my over-the-stove microwave. I can put a cabinet together, I can replace a catalytic converter, change a tire, replace a computer hard drive, but I'm truly shaken at what the directions are asking me to do.

The worse part that really scared me was “We are not responsible for mistakes published in this guide, or installation errors as a result of mistakes published in this installation guide…” Lol! Yep, they can’t be my solution with words like that. No Steve’s LEDs for me.

I'll pay an extra $50 if they install it for me. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capture.PNG
:) Back years ago, I had a Biocube 14 that I decided to upgrade the lighting to Steve’s. Back then it was a diy kit. Had to glue in the LEDs, solder all of them together etc. That was not fun at all.;Joyful

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Back years ago, I had a Biocube 14 that I decided to upgrade the lighting to Steve’s. Back then it was a diy kit. Had to glue in the LEDs, solder all of them together etc. That was not fun at all.;Joyful
Wooooow…..it was worse!?! I would have never had a chance back then. You’re apparently a little bit more advanced then me. I’m jealous.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back