Any info on how to breed puffers in general?

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I’m positing this in the lounge is because from a poll I made about a month ago, lot of you guys didn’t want to see freshwater things floating around when you are looking for reef stuff. Anyways let me get started on what I really had to say.

I recently got amazon puffers and I got really attached to them they are really just such a great fish to have. However, they were wild caught. I really don’t like buying wild caught fish because it makes me think of how they could have been living in the rivers free and everything. Anyways, I decided I want to try to breed amazon puffers. No info on them whatsoever. Breeding has never been done. So what I need from you guys is giving me any information on how to breed puffers of any type, as I have realized many of them have never been bred. I am willing to learn as much and do my best as long as the puffer isn’t something like a mbu puffer that grows up to 3 feet or something lol. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help with this

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all the info i could find about breeding any type of freshwater puffer. Screenshot_20191115-061625.png Screenshot_20191115-061837.png Screenshot_20191115-062052.png
Maybe try the puffer forum if its still active...

Screenshot_20191115-062052.png
thanks ill take a look at that. how about any saltwater, do you think there would be more info for them?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I honestly do not know much about puffers in the wild. Are they reef visitors or constant dwellers? Do marine puffers change sex or is it fixed?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffs are very hard to breed, even people who are avid keepers can have issues. I’ve a friend who was semi successful with a tank infested with hair algae, giving the fry a very small food source. They had to lower the water temp, and all kinds of other things. I’d have to pick their brains to find out more info.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Puffs are very hard to breed, even people who are avid keepers can have issues. I’ve a friend who was semi successful with a tank infested with hair algae, giving the fry a very small food source. They had to lower the water temp, and all kinds of other things. I’d have to pick their brains to find out more info.
Glad you chimed in! I actually think you could offer suggestions on another critter for him too.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yours show any mating behavior?
Not really except for my pea puffers. I have a pair of them and most sources say they are supposed to fight all the time but they swim with each other and only fight a little when there is food. Even if they did lay eggs and the fry hatched out, I have a male betta in there. pretty sure I would have to remove him. For my amazon puffers, I have three in a community tank. Mostly juveniles. i started this thread not to try to breed the puffers I already had but if I got enough information, I might get another tank to breed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back