Any Injuries During Maintenance?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if anyone who keeps mantis shrimp have had to deal with injuries from them while cleaning/maintaining their tank?

I have a 7.5g that's plumbed into my system that I thought might be a nice place for one of the small species of mantis. But I'm concerned about getting hurt while working on the tank. Am I being a wimp?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They’re generally shy and will hide while you’re in the tank. Obviously keep an eye out for their presence as their little snap pistol can cause pain

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here actually gotten hit by one? I used to have a couple in a 75g with a ton of TBS rock, never got hit but always worried about it when I was moving rock or coral around lol.

CAMAKAZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few mantis. Only time I was struck was cleaning the peacock tank. Got me right on the knuckle. It didnt break skin but it did hurt for couple days.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time he was molting & wouldn't take food for 2 weeks. When he finally did, he shot fully out of his cave with such speed it legit reminded me of a barracuda I'd seen diving. Luckily I only use long tank tweezers to feed him so he didn't get me. I use the big (sterilized) heavy duty kitchen tongs to move rocks or whatever else I need to do.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been snapped by some smaller mantis but the worst was when I was feeding one of my peacock mantis and it stabbed me with its telson (tail) which was not very pleasant. I was always careful with my spear as I did not want to test what that would feel like even though that mantis was just 3 inches long.

FreshwaterConvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my coworkers at my LFS had his thumbnail split by one once. He’s sworn off ever keeping them again after that. The nail eventually fell off and everything. I’m not sure what the species was tho. He told me about it the other day

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back