Any interest in a Diy food for sale?

dowskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im new to the community but id like to contribute somehow if possible. I have an idea; quite possibly a poor one with no interest what so ever but here goes.

I have an asian market here in the valley that carries most of the raw ingredients ive seen in this forum to make your own fish feed. Nori, shrimp, squid, smelt, mackerels, krill, silverfish, clams, oysters, periwinkle, etc...

Would anyone have interest in premade food? I could have different recipes based on feedback and itll save some of you guys the trouble of diy. New batches could be made on a regular basis to keep food fresh and i could pass on my low costs to you.

Input and suggestions appreciated. If i hear crickets, I won't take it to the heart. Ive spent countless hours here on this forum learning and i thank all of you.

Trev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to try and see. I am a believer that variety is good for fish and corals. When are you making your first batch?

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few brand's out there already doing that. One issue for you would be the coral-sized foods that can be a bit expensive to source. Rotifers, Cyclops, etc

EDIT: Sorry just saw it was your local forum, carry on

OP
OP
dowskee

dowskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am willing to try and see. I am a believer that variety is good for fish and corals. When are you making your first batch?
Nice. If we have enough interest, the first batch could be made right away. Give me a recipe you find works well and pick a name for your recipe "Trev's reef tonic" . I could label the ingredients with the name on the package. You never know; your recipe could be the top seller [emoji6]

Trev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe. Let me dig out my old recipes. I have not made my own food since 2003 when I left California.

Frick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were actually thinking about doing a DIY fish food as a AZ FRAG meeting soon. We'd pay for the ingredients and give it away to members if you want to help.

OP
OP
dowskee

dowskee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were actually thinking about doing a DIY fish food as a AZ FRAG meeting soon. We'd pay for the ingredients and give it away to members if you want to help.
I could definitely help. PM me with details when youre ready

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really is something anyone can do on their own. Go to your nearest Asian Supermarket like Lee Lee get Nori sheets and a large variety of fresh seafood. Shrimp, squid, clams, small hole fish, ect. Add it all to a blender, mix in some fresh galric or Garlic Extreme, any other vitamins and amnios, baby brine, cyclopees, rotifers, mysis ect and blend up well. Freeze it in a large zip lock bag laid flat in t he freezer and done. It's pretty low cost and makes for a great fish and coral diet.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might ok to sell in your local Reef market but soon as you get out of town and state orders cost of 10am overnight shipping along with Styrofoam containers dry ice packs card board boxes tape and time added togather will probably equal out to almost the same as ready made commercial brands. Remember they get a break on shipping and matterial due to large volumes. But good luck.
I make my own same way though.

I buy my frozen blocks from a wholesaler and each block is about 5 lbs.
I get a variety of frozen stuff like my sis brine rotifers black worms etc.
I semi thaw a measure quantity of all products and mix in garlic paste and finely chopped nori. Then i put all mixture in ice cube trays. Filling cube half way. Then freeze it. Once frozen I add rodi water on top of the half filled cubes and freeze.
Why do it in 2 steps? If you freeze mixture as is in cube trays top layer dries out after few days. So filling cubes half way letting them freez then add a layer of rodi water on top keeps mixture protected.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back