Any LTA Experts? Best sand grain size? Bed thickness?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone knows what the most natural and ideal substrate would be for my massive LTA? I’m going to set him up in a cube tank and am not sure what caribsea sand to use and what the best grain size is.

Should there be rock in the tank? Or is just sand only and some macro algae ok with a bit of rubble? Right now he’s happy wedged between the bottom of a larger rock and the sand bed.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone knows what the most natural and ideal substrate would be for my massive LTA? I’m going to set him up in a cube tank and am not sure what caribsea sand to use and what the best grain size is.

Should there be rock in the tank? Or is just sand only and some macro algae ok with a bit of rubble? Right now he’s happy wedged between the bottom of a larger rock and the sand bed.
Massive they can be. Curious to size of yours....in my experience sand bed hasn't mattered, my sand bed is about an inch and half all around, its been ability to bury then attach to glass below / shift rock and they will literally shift big rock to get comfortable. Mine does the full tank loop one end to other every few months. They move ... here is mine. Bout 14 inches currently...
Grain size is the usual crushed aragonite not sand but next larger up, probably 1/8 " in size?
20210801_024448.jpg
20210801_024423.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massive they can be. Curious to size of yours....in my experience sand bed hasn't mattered, my sand bed is about an inch and half all around, its been ability to bury then attach to glass below / shift rock and they will literally shift big rock to get comfortable. Mine does the full tank loop one end to other every few months. They move ... here is mine. Bout 14 inches currently...
Grain size is the usual crushed aragonite not sand but next larger up, probably 1/8 " in size?
20210801_024448.jpg
20210801_024423.jpg
Thanks. Mine gets to about 6-7” across. Seems big in my 30 gallon but wow yours is truly big. haha. thanks for the info.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally you want at least 2" of substrate if not more. Special grade is as coarse as I'd recommend. There should always be some rock in the tank somewhere, whether it be in the sump or DT.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back