Any mail in necropsy services for hobbyists?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it (mostly because people tend to be dense and dont believe me) but depending on where the fish was collected, could be cyanide damage. It can cause delayed organ failure.

Anthias are notorious for this, mostly because they are VERY difficult to catch without it. #1 reason I avoid any fish from the philippines... they used cyanide in massive amounts. How am i so sure? I have gone out on boats and witnesed them mix and use it.

Anyways, enough bad news. I'm glad it wasnt an obvious disease and the other fish are doing fine!!
I have heard from some people here that the Australian Tusks are caught using cyanide and it was a consideration once it passed. I wanted the necropsy to ensure it wasn’t something I missed during QT that could now get to the rest.

So glad it didn’t have Marine herpes! Lol

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long thread, Great read first thing in the morning. Sorry to hear about the fish, your vehicle and the deer.

From all that I have read, Australia is one place that cyanide is NOT used. People even pay a premium to get fish from that region. Also, I am no expert on this fish, but those that are say there are color differences Harlequin tusk from Australia and other regions. Are you sure this one was from Australia?

PS. Although I know it is against the law, seeing that that buck died from a head injury, I may have somehow (Mr. Game Warden, I have no idea how that got in the ice-chest) ended up with at least some back-strap, but I am sure that was not an option with your daughter with you!

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long thread, Great read first thing in the morning. Sorry to hear about the fish, your vehicle and the deer.

From all that I have read, Australia is one place that cyanide is NOT used. People even pay a premium to get fish from that region. Also, I am no expert on this fish, but those that are say there are color differences Harlequin tusk from Australia and other regions. Are you sure this one was from Australia?

PS. Although I know it is against the law, seeing that that buck died from a head injury, I may have somehow (Mr. Game Warden, I have no idea how that got in the ice-chest) ended up with at least some back-strap, but I am sure that was not an option with your daughter with you!
Glad you enjoyed reading through this thread! I purchased the Tusk through LA as an Australian. Coloring was good like one would expect of an Australian specimen. I did not take the buck but everyone that heard I hit one asks if I did.

ross0201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you enjoyed reading through this thread! I purchased the Tusk through LA as an Australian. Coloring was good like one would expect of an Australian specimen. I did not take the buck but everyone that heard I hit one asks if I did.
Around here the sheriff keeps a waiting list for folks who want roadkilled deer. Of course the driver always gets first dibs.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a trip to Amarillo to pick up some inverts and retrieve my kids car seats from the back of my truck. My truck was in the paint booth when I first got there so I went and had breakfast, visited 2 LFS bought inverts from both. Then went back after lunch to the shop to get my kids car seats.
List of inverts from 1st store:
5 stomatella freebies
4 scarlet hermits
3 nassarius snails
2 limpet freebies
1 fighting conch

From second store:
1 rock nem (foot was stuck inside an empty turbo shell so got a free shell. Plus found an amphipod in the container and a small bristle worm!)
1 Halloween hermit
1 larger conch ( sump janitor) it had a couple asterina stars stuck to it but I plucked them and sent them down the sink drain.

All were put into my fluval evo 5 invert QT
439C20C6-5DAA-44D0-826B-15E127A45D6A.jpeg

And the truck!
A0266022-4364-45AF-A06B-CA117FA3D726.jpeg

00CD4492-E92C-49E1-AB26-BB3BE70FF7A7.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I picked my truck up today! So glad to be out of that rental car. Dodge chargers do not have near the room my truck does and even my oldest daughter hated the rental. Her booster seat when strapped into the child seat anchors literally sat on top of the seatbelt buckle and made it nearly impossible to get buckled.

A couple things were missed (running board end caps, and LTZ emblem on grill) that I’ll have to go back and get put on but it looks good. First estimate was about 6k and final total was 11,500!! Guess the insurance adjuster missed it by a touch. Got a new radiator, condenser, and battery box among other things under the hood that weren’t originally thought to be damaged.
B062C075-F92D-4FA6-98EE-91B39217DC2C.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally this whole fiasco is over for you! Truck looks good though!
It should! The whole front end is basically new.

I’ll have to go back to the body shop. They didn’t get the end caps on the running board replaced and also didn’t get the “LTZ” emblem put back on the new grill. They’ll call when they get the parts in. The shop had checked off that it was done. I checked everything out before leaving and pointed out to the shop manager that the end caps weren’t on the truck. He takes off looking for the end caps but comes back saying the ones they had were wrong. While he was away looking I noticed the grill was missing the emblem so I told him about that as well. Small things but still.

Back